Chapter 25: Family Dysfunctions (Pt 2)

Harry, Theo, and Blaise were headed towards the Great Hall for Sunday breakfast when they were accosted by Jim Potter, whose eyes were practically bloodshot with anger. Trailing behind him were most of the Second Year Gryffindors, half of whom seemed to be trying to calm him down while the rest were apparently just along for the show.

Before Harry could say anything, Jim was already in his face. "Look, I told you last night that I had nothing to do with that graffiti or the cat! I've kept my side of our truce! Now give it back!"

Harry blinked. "What in Merlin's name are you talking about, Little Brother?" He was mildly surprised when Jim practically growled at the phrase Little Brother; Harry had thought that Jim was immune to that little dig, but apparently it still had the power to annoy him after all.

"The cloak, Harry! I know you've got it. I know you think that's a cute way to get revenge on me. But you've had your laughs so give it back!" Fire burning.

At that, Harry did a double-take. "Someone stole a Potter family heirloom? No, let me rephrase that. You let someone steal a Potter family heirloom?"

Jim's whole face twitched violently."I didn't let anyone do anything. You took it while I was asleep. And I know it was you because you left a note gloating about it!"

"Jim, calm down," said Neville urgently, but the boy ignored him. Fire raging.

"A note," said Harry disdainfully. "Why would I ever leave a note if I stole something from you?! That's ... amateur-level."

"GODDAMMIT, HARRY!" Out of control. By this point, a crowd was starting to gather. Inside the Great Hall, Professor Lockhart interrupted his discussion with Professor Sprout about Mandrakes to investigate the commotion.

"Jim," said Hermione, "Please. Get a hold of yourself."

"DON'T TELL ME TO CALM DOWN!" Jim bellowed. Instinctively, Hermione took a step back. Pressure building.

"And besides," said Harry with a hint of ice creeping into his voice, as he was now growing irritated with his brother's belligerence, "why would I need to steal the cloak when I've already proven I can just trick you into giving it to me whenever I need it?"

Jim's head snapped back around towards his brother. He was too angry to respond, to angry even to think about anything except the red haze that began to stain his vision.

Boom.

With a roar of unrestrained fury, Jim hurled himself at Harry before anyone could react, knocking the other boy to the ground. Then, he began raining blows down on his brother's head while yelling incoherently at him.

"I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU! I WISH YOU'D STAYED WITH THE DURSLEYS AND DIED THERE!"

After a few seconds of shock, Neville and Theo each grabbed Jim by an arm and dragged him away off of Harry. Immediately, Jim's martial arts training kicked in, and he quickly threw the other two boys off of him and turned back to his brother. Instantly, he noticed three things. One, Harry's nose was bleeding. Two, Harry now had his wand in his hand. Three, Harry's eyes looked even greener than usual.

"FLIPPENDO!" the Slytherin intoned in an icy voice. The magic slammed into Jim, flinging him up into the air in a somersault to land hard on the marble some fifteen feet away. Instantly, both boys scrambled to their feet, Jim drawing his own wand as he did. Most of the students jumped back in surprise, but Neville actually planted himself between the twins with his arms extended towards each.