Chapter 6

You and Sawyer stay under the stars, talking and laughing just like normal, then the subject turns to the girl in the diner. Sawyer's still in awe of her. "She was so beautiful, wasn't she?" he says.
Your moment with him has been crushed yet again. "Yeah, sure."
He frowns at you. "Are you sure you're feeling okay? You're acting, kind of... Well, strange."
"No, I'm fine."
"Are you sure?"
"Probably not, but let's just say yes."
He giggles in his adorable little way and keeps talking about her. "Her hair looked so soft and pretty, and her eyes... I could get lost at sea in those..." You try to block him out by concentrating on the constellations above, but it doesn't work. He rambles on about how pretty she was until you finally stop him. "Sawyer, you can't fall in love with someone if you don't even know their name."
"Oh yeah? Says who?"
"Says me, I guess."
"Please. When have you ever been in love?" he scoffs.
You're not sure how to answer this question safely. "I don't know," you stammer, praying that he can't see your blushing face in the moonlight. "What? How do you not know if you've been in love?" he teases.
You grimace. "I wish I knew the answer to that too. What about you, Sawyer? When was the last time you fell head over heels for someone?"
This stops him in his tracks. "I haven't before..."
You almost laugh at him. "What?!? A celebrity like you? You're joking!"
He just shrugs. "I guess you could say I'm saving it all for the right person."
"But how will you know if they're the right one or not if you haven't ever experienced love before?"
"Like I said, I'll know when I know."
You fall silent once more, and eventually you drift off to sleep under the stars, where you replay the scene over and over in your head where you were safe in Sawyer's arms and nothing could go wrong.