20| Akidat

[MORNING]
Sana entered the hall, her eyes widened as she looked at her mother Naeema.
"Mama?" She asked surprised.
Naeema hugged her, but there was a hint of tension in her eyes.
"Aap yahan? Aise achanak?"
They both sat down.
"Fahad ka call aaya tha parso"
Sana looked at her confused.
"Tumhare aur Aman ke rishte ki baat karne ke liye aayi hoon." Sana's face freezes in shock.

LAIBA
I rushed to the bathroom once again, feeling the familiar wave of nausea wash over me. This was the third time this morning. I was feeling okay yesterday, but today the sickness is back with a vengeance.
I walked out of the washroom feeling tired when I looked at Fahad. He probably woke up because of my retching.

"Are you okay?" He asked, concern etched across his face.

"No" My voice tinged with exhaustion.
Feeling weak and unsteady, I  was on the verge of collapsing when he swiftly moved to support me and guided me back to the bed.

I could hear the faint sound of the door knock. Fahad went towards the door and opened it. I heard Maa ask him about his health. She entered inside and looked at me concerned.
"Laiba beta kya hua??"
"Maa parso ki tarah phir se tabyat-" I tried to speak as I got up and sat on the bed.
"Ammi shayad food poisoning hogayi hai..main doctor ko call karta hu" Fahad said picking his phone.

"Beta..kahin tum expect toh nahi kar rahi?"
Her eyes locked on my face, searching for any sign of confirmation.

Fahad looked at me, his face a mask of astonishment.
"Nahi nahii aisa kuch nahi hai!"  My voice barely a whisper.
Coming closer, she lowered her voice and asked if I had got my periods. My periods have always been irregular, that doesn't mean anything. I hesitated and tried to answer, "Nahi Maa lekin-" but she interrupted me.
"Fahad ke time pe bhi mujhe aise hi hota tha. Roz sickness hoti thi, kuch khaane ka mann nahi karta"

I could see the mixture of shock and confusion in Fahad's eyes as he struggled to process what Maa said. I too was taken aback. How could she even think something like that?

"Tum aaram karo, main tumhare liye juice lekar aati hoon" she said walking away without listening to me.

"Laiba yeh ammi kya keh rahi hai!?" Fahad said his voice filled with confusion.
"Fahad jaa ke unhe roko, kahin woh sabko yeh na bata de" I said and lay on the bed feeling tired.
                            ______________

Insia prepared to enter the kitchen
"Ammi aap breakfast ke liye nahi aa rahi? aur bhai bhabhi kaha hai?"  Jiya asked.
Insia looked towards the dining where Jiya, Sana and Naeema were having breakfast.
"Woh kamre mein hai, mein Laiba ke liye juice lene aayi thi"
"Ab woh ladki aapse apna kaam bhi karwa rahi hai badi ami"  Sana commented
"Aisi haalat main mein usse karne kaise de sakti hoon" Insia said smiling.
"Aisi haalat matlab?" Jiya questioned while Sana and Naeema looked at each other.

FAHAD
I climbed down the stairs only to see Ammi and others in the dining hall. Did she already tell them?

"Ammi!"  I interrupted and took her a little away from there.
"Aapne sab ko bataya toh nahi?" I asked tensed.
"Bas batane wali thi"
"Aap kisi ko kuch nahi batayengi! Ammi aisa kuch nahi hai!"
"Fahad tu chup baith, tujhe yeh sab nahi samajh aayega"
"Ammi mein apko kaise samjhau ke aisa kuch ho hi nahi sakta!!" I said frustrated.

"Kyun nahi ho sakta?" She asked annoyed. Now how was I supposed to answer that?

"Uh..abhi test nahi karwaya na toh aap kaise keh sakti hai.."
"Thik hai woh bhi karwa lena..ab tum jaao, mein tum dono ke liye nashta le kar aati hoon"
I felt a sigh of relief.  Jiya, Sana and Chachi looked at us confused as we were talking.