22| Birthday

FAHAD
I stepped into the hall wearing the shirt Laiba gifted me and could feel the warmth of my family's eyes on me. Laiba, standing at a distance, caught my eye and signed that I was looking good. Her eyes, were enough to make my heart skip a beat. A smile spread across my face.

As I walked forward approaching her, I saw two familiar faces walking through the door, Aman and Ayesha.
I looked towards Laiba, whose smile widened and I understood she invited them. Aman pulled me into a tight warm hug, wishing me a happy birthday.

**************

Everyone gathered around the table, Fahad held the knife and gently cut a slice of cake. He turned towards Laiba and fed her the first slice. He then proceeded to feed the rest of them.

Jiya eagerly presented her gift and Fahad smiled and hugged her.
"Yeh maine nahi bhabhi..I mean Laiba ne select kiya hai"
Fahad's face lit up as he looked at her.

Laiba pulled Insia towards her. "Maa, dinner ka intezam bahar lawn mein kiya hai..aap sab ko waha lejayiye" she agreed.
"Rukhsaar, tum aao meray saath yeh sab bahir le jao" she said pointing towards the dishes.

The table was adorned with flickering candles and flowers and the aroma of freshly prepared dishes filled the air, enticing everyone's taste buds.

As they settled down for dinner, Laiba carried the trays laden with dishes. Insia with a twinkle in her eye, revealed to Fahad, "yeh saari taiyaari Laiba ne ki hai, aur aaj ka khaana bhi usne hi banaya hai"

Fahad's eyes widened as he realized the effort Laiba had put into this. He grabbed Laiba's hand as she was in the midst of serving and urged her to sit beside him. Sana looked at them feeling envy. Her gaze shifted, she caught the eye of Aman, who responded with a warm, friendly smile.

Jiya, sat across the table, her eyes glued to her phone screen, as she texted Zayd, a contented smile playing on her lips. Intrigued by this, Insia asked her. "Kisse baat kar rahi ho?"
"Kisi se nahi ammi bas-" she tried to dismiss the question.
"Have your dinner first!" Insia scolded.

[HALLWAY]
Sana gazed at the sight of Laiba and Fahad engaged in a conversation with Ayesha in the lawn. Laiba, attentively fixed his shirt. Sana couldn't help but feel a pang of jealousy, a bittersweet reminder of what could have been.

Lost in her thoughts, her grip on the glass she was holding tightened unconsciously. The glass shattered into pieces, causing her to snap back to reality. The sound of the breaking glass echoed through the room, as Aman rushed to her side, concerned etched on his face.

"Are you okay?" He asked holding her hand.
"I'm fine" she said pulling her hand and walking away.

"Sana hua kya hai? Tum mujhse baat kyun nahi kar rahi?
She took a pause.
"Uss din jab mama rishte ki baat karne aayi thi, tab bhi tumne kuch nahi kaha. Kya tum iss rishte se khush nahi ho?"

"Main tumse shadi nahi karna chahti..mujhe shadi hi nahi karni, pata nahi kyu kisi ko yeh baat samajh nahi aa rahi"
Her voice laced with frustration echoed through the hallway breaking Aman's heart.

"Hey, listen.." he said walking closer.
"Yeh shadi tab tak nahi hogi jab tak tum khud apni razamandi nahi dogi"
The weight of those words hung heavily in the air as they shared a tense moment, their eyes locked.

........

Fahad steps away to attend a call, Laiba turns towards Ayesha.
"Ayesha..uss din jo bhi hua uske liye I'm really sorry"
Ayesha sighed, "Laiba iski koi zarurat nahi hai"