29| Distances

FAHADAs I walked into the room, my mind kept drifting back to Sana's words

FAHAD
As I walked into the room, my mind kept drifting back to Sana's words. The conversation with her today reminded me of what she said a few days back.

"Tum maano ya na maano, maine jo kaha wohi sachh hai. Laiba tumse pyaar nahi karti"

Her words played in my mind, causing a knot to form in my chest. I couldn't shake off the feeling that something was amiss between me and Laiba. The past few days had been filled with restlessness. The distance between us, our conversations had become scarce.

I felt like I needed to have an open conversation with her. Ask her what she thinks about this marriage. I want to understand her true feelings and find out if there was any truth to Sana's words. I got dressed up to leave for the wedding.

I entered the wedding hall, and spotted my client Ali Rehman. He made his way towards me and introduced me to his son Asad. I congratulated the couple wishing them good luck for their marriage.

I looked at the crowd and my eyes fell upon Laiba standing among the guests. What was she doing here? I thought and it hit me. This was her friend's wedding that she invited me to!

A smile crept across my face as I admired her from a distance. She looked beautiful as always wearing a traditional attire and the gajrey that I gifted her.

I walked towards her through the crowd. Her face would surely light up when she realises I am here too. We can leave from here together and that way I'll also get a chance to ask her how she actually feels about me.

I took a few more steps closer to reach her. She was looking at her phone, her attention shifted and she turned back to see Zayd. My chest tightened with a mix of confusion and disappointment. What was he doing here? What are they talking about?

Laiba pulled Zayd away from there, holding his hand, and they moved to a quieter area. It felt like a punch in the gut. My jaw clenched, mind raced with thoughts. A pang of hurt crept in me.

All those hopes of sorting things out and finding a way to make things work came crashing down. There was no use of it, it's all clear now.

I walked away from the venue, barely feeling anything except this strong weird pain in my chest.

Ever since our wedding the only thing Laiba has said is that this marriage was forced. She never wanted this union in the first place.

But I thought things would get better, that maybe just maybe love could grow over time.
But I was living in a world of illusion, fooling myself that she would love me back once day.
I allowed myself to believe that things could be different between us. But I was wrong. She doesn't love me. She probably never will.

I opened the car door and settled into the driver's seat. I turned the key in the ignition and the engine roared to life. I pressed down the accelerator, speeding up the car. The wind rushed through the open windows, whipping my hair, mirroring the chaos inside my mind.