Bonus Chapter - 02

Few months later

5.02 pm

FAHAD
I sit in the middle of a meeting, the room humming with the low murmur of voices discussing important matters.

My attention is momentarily drawn as my phone screen flashes.

Laiba calling..

I put it on silent after sending a quick I'm busy message to her. But it's hard to concentrate on work when you know your wife is waiting for you.

"We'll discuss this tomorrow" I interrupt and then instruct Saba about the next meeting.

I check my phone as I walk towards my car, and open the voice note sent by Laiba.

"agar tum 15 minute mein ghar nahi aaye, toh mein amma ke ghar chali jaungi"

This was sent 35 minutes ago—

Her tone was tinged with anger and I knew I had messed up again. Since Laiba is pregnant, we had made a pact that I would be home early everyday, work from home if I have to, and will agree to everything she says. I can't let her take any stress during this time.

This pregnancy has altogether been beautiful. Waking up to her sleeping peacefully on my chest, it's a feeling that fills my heart with warmth.

Dealing with Laiba's mood swings has been a little stressful although. But ordering biryani at 3am and watching her devour it while I sit back with a smile is probably one of my favourite things to do.

She is now in her second trimester, so the mood swings are a bit controlled. She's more calm. She spends most of the day with maa, sometimes also visits her parents' house.

I don't know how she's gonna react today. I have already made her upset last week. We were supposed to go out on a dinner, but I had to leave for Karachi urgently. No matter how hard I'm trying to make time for her, I've been disappointing her and I hate that.

[ROOM]
Laiba is asleep. She looks so peaceful and calm. More like the calm before the storm.. you know.

In her hand she's holding "What to Expect When You're Expecting" book, a guide to pregnancy.

I smile and slowly make my way towards the closet. I notice her suitcase sitting right there and realise she was serious. She had actually packed her bags to go to her parents' house.

A small noise from the bedroom makes me realise she is awake. I turn my gaze towards the bed where she slowly gets up and sits on the bedside.

She is silent, which is very unlikely of her.
I hesitate for a moment and blurt out, "M..Main janta hu tum mujhse naraz ho.. ek Kaam karte hai..aaj hum shopping pe chalenge, dinner pe bhi, jahan tum chaho"

I walk closer and stand right in front of her, bracing myself for her response, she wraps her arms around my waist and pulls me into a hug. I am taken aback, to say the least. I mean, I was prepared for her anger, not her warmth.

I hug her back, not understanding why she isn't angry. The soft sound of sniffles makes me realise she is crying. My heart sinks, and a wave of guilt washes over me.

Cupping her face gently, I look into her teary eyes and ask, "Laiba, tum theek ho?"

"Mujhe kuch nahi chahiye" she says in a feeble voice. "Mujhe sirf aapka waqt chahiye Fahaad"

I hug her again, holding her tightly. My chest tightens feeling a deep sense of hurt. I made her cry. I am the reason for her tears. I'm such an asshole. I'm supposed to keep her happy.