༻ 24

why i feel this way, i don't know, baby
i think of her so much, it drives me crazy
i just don't want her to leave me

"No, I'm really okay, Jisung. You can have it," Aruna insisted, gently pushing the sandwich back toward him.
Aren't you hungry, though?" Jisung ask, concerned. "It's your lunch break, and I think it's about to end. You can just eat this. I'll get another one for myself," he added, his ears turning slightly red at the hint of desperation in his voice.

It was true though, he was somewhat desperate. The idea of enjoying the sandwich alone felt wrong, and he genuinely wanted her to eat it.

"I just... I just really want you to eat this, but, of course, you don't have to. I just don't want you to pass out or anything, or else I wouldn't know what to do," he rambled on, his words rushing out with anxiety, fearing another slap of rejection.

Surprisingly, Aruna didn't stop him, as others might have done in the past. She patiently waited, her eyes gleaming with amusement at his chattering. It was unexpected of him from the shy, awkward demeanour she was used to.

"So..." Jisung hesitated, turning to face her. "Sandwich?" His eyes widened a bit as he found her already staring at him.

It was one of those moments where time seemed to slow, and their eyes locked in an oddly surreal moment. The air seemed to hold a certain tension.

Arunas lips were parted slightly as she went to speak, and then, as if breaking a spell, they both burst into laughter.

"Okay, I'll eat it just for you, Jisung, so you don't have to help me when I pass out," Aruna teased, suppressing her laughter or she would end up choking on her words and embarrassing herself.

She unwrapped the sandwich, avoiding looking at the nutrition labels like she usually did. She would just have to find them online later.

"It's, uh, pork if you're okay with that," Jisung said after she unwrapped it, Aruna nodding as she took a bite. To say he was nervous was an understatement. He felt like he was on the edge, teetering like Humpty Dumpty on a wall. Everyone knew how that ended.

"This is..." she drawled out, closing her eyes to savor the taste in her mouth. "Amazing."

The breath he didn't even know he was holding was released as Jisung broke out into a smile. It wasn't the usual one she saw him have around his members and friends at the party, but nonetheless, it was a genuine smile.

The party

Aruna remembered something she forgot to ask him about: the reason why he played along with her when she mistook Jaemin as the party planner. She had wondered for a while why he didn't correct her. It was her chance now.

"Uhm, Jisung. I have a question," she cleared her throat, hoping there was no mayo on her cheek. She wasn't necessarily the messiest eater, but sandwiches were a whole other story.

Eyeing him, she noticed a fleeting look in Jisung's eyes, a brief flicker of uncertainty. He seemed to avoid direct eye contact, and she couldn't help but feel a subtle shift in the atmosphere.

It was like before but it felt different. She knew he didn't mean to act so awkward and it was just his second nature. Besides, she was the same herself.

"Hm?" he hummed in response, glancing at her quickly before shifting his gaze away. The momentary hesitation in his eyes didn't go unnoticed by Aruna, and she put her sandwich down.