༻ 25

One thing Aruna learned about Jisung was that he couldn't stand still.

She watched as he stood patiently in line, wobbling from side to side. He would switch the pressure he put his body on from right foot to left every two seconds. It was quite odd but Aruna couldn't suppress the amusement that played on her lips.

It was just so Jisung of him.

Aruna wasn't sure if he even knew of this habit he had. Maybe it had something to do with anxiety, or it was just something he couldn't control.

She stood up, throwing her empty coffee cup into the recycling bin and walked up to Jisung.

"Hi," Aruna tapped him on the shoulder, catching him off guard. His reaction was immediate, his shoulders tensing, and his head whipping around in surprise. The furrowed eyebrows and the startled expression on his face betrayed his confusion as he tried to comprehend who scared him.

"Oh," he sighed in relief as recognition dawned. "Aruna."
"Yep, that's me," Aruna grinned.

If she was going to be honest, she didn't know why she wanted to talk to the boy in the first place. He was standing there and her legs walked without her being able to process it.

"Seems like we're always meeting here..." Jisung chuckled warily, tucking his short strands of hair behind his ear as he looked around the cafe they would always unintentionally see each other in.

He was attempting to converse. Aruna took this as a good sign.

Nodding, she eyed the menu behind him. "Did you see the new seasonal additions? They're going to add Christmas brownie cookies."
"Wait- what?" his jaw dropped. "No way."
Aruna's grin widened as Jisung's genuine shock turned into excitement. "Yes way."

They continued to move up in the line, which seemed unusually longer than other days. The seasonal drinks had recently been released so she assumed that was why it was twice the size.

"When does it come out? I might just have to try one," Jisung asked.
Aruna pondered. "On December first. I'm going to get my hands on it before it can sell out."

The boy hesitated to speak. He wasn't sure if they were at a close enough stage to try it out together.

"Aruna," he cleared his throat.
"Yes?" her brows furrowed.
"Do you think we could maybe uhm, I don't know...try it tog-"

Suddenly, the bustling atmosphere of the cafe was interrupted by the loud clatter of a tray dropping to the floor. Startled customers turned their heads to see the source of the commotion, including the two idols.

An embarrassed looking barista was frantically picking up the fallen cups and pastries, a flush of pink colouring his cheeks. Aruna felt bad. She wouldn't know what to do if she was put in that position.

Though, she offered an understanding smile to the flustered barista as they locked eyes. He nodded back.

Realizing she was in the middle of a conversation already and it was cut off from the distraction, Aruna turned her full attention back to Jisung. Her eyes gleaming as she looked up.

"You were saying?" she prompted, inviting him to continue whatever he was about to ask before.
"I was uhm..." he hesitated. "I was wondering if we could uh maybe..."

He didn't know where to look, feeling too awkward to stare directly into her eyes but also disrespectful to not be focusing on her. He settled for the beauty mark on her nose. He hadn't noticed that before.

Nervously laughing, he squeezed his eyes shut in embarrassment. "Sorry, I don't know why I'm acting like this."
"It's okay. You don't have to say anything if you're uncomfortable," Aruna reassured him.
"No- I'm comfortable," Jisung stated firmly.