༻ 19

there's just inches in between us
i want you to give in, i want you to give in
there is tension in between us
i just wanna give in

"So we're going to start the promotions in a bit shorter than a month. I know you guys have already been practicing so it shouldn't be too stressful this time," Bitna said, eyes trained to her tablet like glue.

She was going over the schedule for Afterglows new album, 'Lighter.'

The anticipation of another round of promotions was evident, and Aruna was keenly aware of the busy months that lay ahead.

The numerous award shows and the excitement surrounding their latest comeback had already begun to build up. Despite her excitement for the new album and the group's growing success, she couldn't help but feel a creeping sense of overwhelm.

A shove brought her attention back to the main focus. "You good?" Aster nudged, a twinkle of concern in her eye. She knew something was up with Aruna ever since she met with her parents and came back home drenched.

Even when Aruna smiled and said she was fine, she didn't seem fine.

Her smile didn't quite reach her eyes, and there was a cloudiness there that Aster couldn't ignore. Her friend had always been straightforward and open, and this uncharacteristic behaviour worried her.

Aster's confusion mirrored the concern in her eyes. She wanted to help Aruna through whatever was troubling her, but she couldn't do that without knowing the full story.

She wondered if she would ever truly unravel the past Aruna hid so deeply in her heart.

"Let's get practicing and remember you're doing the music video shoot next week so it has to be perfection or I'll get my ass kicked," Bitna joked. Her attempt at humour brought a faint chuckle from Aruna and the other members.

"Minju's waiting for you guys already and after lunch go to where you are needed," they set off after Bitna said her final words, going off to do what she had to do herself.

She was amazing. Even if she wasn't physically present everyday, Bitna was always behind the scenes, making sure things would be okay. 

Aruna remembered when she was just a tiny trainee, barely passed the age of becoming a teenager. 

It had been one of those gruelling days at the practice studio, where the heat was sweltering, and the hours felt endless. Aruna had been struggling, her hair sticking to her face from all the sweat

Bitna had bumped into her on the first day after practice and with a warm smile, she had offered to braid Aruna's hair, a simple but thoughtful gesture to help her stay more comfortable during practice.

She didn't understand how great that felt for Aruna. Her mother would always put her hair up into nice buns and hairstyles but after moving out, she missed it. She felt a sense of familiarity with the way Bitna braided it so softly.

Ever since that day, Bitna had become Aruna's personal hairstylist.

"Pho?" Eliana nudged the younger. She had her hair up in a ponytail and it swished so nicely every time she danced.

"I think I'm gonna grab a quick lunch from the caf and meet up with Sungchan," Aruna lightly rejected the invite, offering a small smile.

It would've been nice to eat with the others but it had been quite a few days since she last saw the man and she wanted to catch up. They were both a bit nervous to interact at SMCU Palace, considering how negative the media was about boy and girl friendships.