Epilogue

Gianna Kayein Lèandre

I was drawn by the sound of two loud knocks on the door. Nanny Felicia hurriedly reached the door to open it.

"Nanny Felicia, please leave Kayein and me alone for a moment. We just need to have a conversation," Mommy said to Nanny Felicia. She promptly obeyed Mom's instructions and exited the room.

Umiiyak na lumapit saakin si Mommy at niyakap ako ng mahigpit.

"Gianna, Mahal na mahal kita.. palagi mong tatandaan yan."

"Mommy.."

"Anak, listen to me. Mommy will leave. Do you want to come with me? We're going to another country and it will be far away."

"Where are we going, Mommy? Is Daddy with us?"

Mommy shook her head, grasped my hand, and squeezed it. I could clearly see the tears that kept flowing from her eyes.

"Mommy, why are you crying?"

"Nothing Gianna.. Are you going with Mom?"

"Yes Mommy, can I bring Diego with me?" I asked Mommy, pointing at my favorite bunny-stuffed toy.  Mommy smiled and just nodded.

My mom took my stuffed toy and handed it to me. She layered me with a few jackets to protect me from the cold weather that night. As we stepped outside, the Alhambra was transformed into a winter wonderland, covered in a pristine white blanket of snow. The air was chilly, and the surroundings were dark and serene.

As we walked through the hallway of the mansion, Mommy whispered to me, instructing me to stay quiet so that Daddy wouldn't hear us. Being only six years old at the time, I understood that those were the moments when we would be leaving Dad behind and Mom and Dad would be separating for good.

We carefully descended the stairs, our pace slowed down in the pitch-black mansion. Mommy made sure to tread silently with each step. As we reached the main entrance and she opened it, Mom was startled to see the bodyguards waiting outside, their guns pointed directly at her.

I was filled with terror at the thought that Mommy might be shot and killed. Tears streamed down my face as I desperately tried to block the bodyguards, doing everything I could to protect my Mom.

"Don't hurt my Mommy!" I shouted, my voice filled with desperation. In response, I heard Mommy's cry. She fell to her knees and embraced me tightly, holding me close in a protective embrace.

"I already told you to leave this place alone. Leave your daughter here. Do not interfere with Kayein's life anymore!"

Mommy made an effort to stand up and turned her gaze towards Daddy, who was now standing behind us.

"Lorenzo, I can't leave without Gianna. I am her mother. I beg you, let me go with our daughter.." Mommy pleaded, tears streaming down her face. I cried as I tightly held onto Diego, my stuffed toy. Daddy's face remained emotionless. I couldn't read his expression, but I knew in those moments that he felt no sympathy for Mommy.

"Lorenzo, please.."

Hindi umimik si Daddy. Bagkus sumenyas lang ito. Kaya naglapitan ang mga bodyguards nya saamin at pinaghiwalay kami ni Mommy.

Mom was in tears, desperately reaching out for my hand. One of the bodyguards carried me and handed me over to Daddy. It was heart-wrenching to see them forcefully drag Mommy out of the mansion, her cries and calls for my name echoing in the air. Since that night, I have never seen her again.

"Kayein, I made pumpkin soup for you."

"I don't want Nanny Felicia. I want my Mum.. I miss her," I said sadly, staring at the fireplace and tears streaming down my face. The warmth of the flames couldn't replace the longing I felt for my Mum's presence.