Realizations

Throughout the night, Ghost, Soap and Gaz adjusted the telescope for Iris, refocusing on Mars until they tried to see the other planets. Jupiter had been visible yet very blurry but Iris still stared in awe. Eventually, Price joined, sitting on the porch, smoking a cigar as he watched the team. As the night went by, clouds slowly rolled in, bringing the rain with them. After the smell of rain filled the air, the boys carefully carried the telescope to the porch to keep it out of the rain. Though it slightly upset Iris, she was happy with the rain as well. Ghost, Gaz, and Soap stayed on the porch with Price, watching Iris and Riley run around the yard in the rain. "Riley's gonna need a bath, Ghost." Gaz laughed. Ghost nodded, "I'm sure he's due for one anyways."

Quiet thunder filled the air, signaling its departure. As Iris and Riley ran through the yard, the rain eased. "Iris, Riley needs a bath, let's go." Ghost shouted as the others slowly walked inside. "Okay! Riley, co-" a noise in the distance caught hers and Riley's attention. Both eyeing the direction in which the noise sounded once more, the hair on Riley's neck stood and Iris' eyes turned purely obsidian. Ghost noticed the change in both of their demeanors, looking out in the distance. "Iris?" he said loudly, confused yet alarmed. He waited for a response until he saw something in the trees in the distance shift. "Boys!" he shouted over his shoulder as he pulled the hidden pistol from his waistband. Gaz, Soap and Price rushed back outside, "What is it Lt.?" Soap asked as the rest of them followed his movements. "Iris, Riley, come here." He demanded loudly. Neither moved, keeping their eyes focused, Riley growing lowly and Iris stood frozen.

Ghost walked down from the porch, aiming his gun towards the shifting trees, walking towards Iris and Riley as the rest followed, keeping their eyes on the rest of their surroundings. As he got closer, he began to hear growling in the trees. "Fuck. Iris," Ghost grabbed her wrist carefully, trying to pull her back but it felt as if she were stone; she didn't budge at all. "Johnny, call Riley." Ghost said without looking behind him. "Riley, come!" Soap demanded loudly. Riley looked back quickly before returning his eyes in front of him. "Why the fuck isn't he listening?!" Gaz shouted. "I don't know." Ghost panicked as he grabbed Riley's collar, pulling him back gently yet quickly and placing him between his legs. "What is it?" Price asked loudly, aiming his gun in front of him, avoiding putting his team or Iris in the line of fire. "I think it's a fucking bear." Ghost said through his teeth as he looked down the barrel of his gun.

"Bloody fuckin' hell.' Gaz said, panic rising in his voice. "Easy, Gaz." Soap said quickly and sternly. The growling grew louder, "Ghost, get the fuck back here." Price demanded through his teeth. "I can't, Iris isn't moving." He said as he focused on the moving brush and trees in front of them. "Lt. she's a fuckin' monster she can handle herself, Riley can't. Get the fuck over here!" Soap demanded loudly. Ghost grew more frustrated as he glanced at Iris before looking back in front of him. "Back." Ghost commanded as he walked backwards swiftly with his gun still pointed. Riley walked back with Ghost, staying between his legs, continuing to bark. "Down." he commanded once more as he stood next to the rest of the team and Riley on the ground. Without warning, Iris rushed into the treeline, disappearing unfathomably quickly into the trees and brush. "Where the fuck did she go!?" Soap shouted as he scanned the tree line. "Iris!" Ghost yelled, desperation bleeding over his tone. Ghost stepped forward with Riley following, "Ghost! What the fuck are you doing?!" Gaz shouted in disbelief. "Simon, don't take another fucking step!" Price yelled. "I can't leave her out there!" Ghost shouted as he turned towards the team. After a moment of contemplation, Soap spoke, "He's right, sir." "We don't know where the fucking bear is!" Gaz shouted once more. Ghost sighed and stepped back, standing over Riley once more. "That's what he's for." Ghost said through his teeth as he motioned to Riley. "Fuck.." Price said defeatedly, "Gaz, move." he demanded as he began walking. Gaz groaned angrily, fear mixing with the anger. "Johnny, anything comes near Riley, kill it." Ghost demanded, "Riley, track." he commanded. Riley took off running with Ghost and the rest of the team close behind. The wind blew through the foliage, making it difficult to hear anything, thus making it nearly impossible to track Iris or the bear by sound. They followed Riley for a while until they heard an ear piercing screech in the distance. Panic took over the team as they sprinted in the direction of the scream. As they ran, the sounds of a violent scuffle filled their ears, along with more screeching and cries. The team had no idea if they were coming from Iris or the bear. After listening to the sounds for a moment, the air turned eerily silent. The team froze, looking around them trying to listen for anything to point them in the direction of Iris. Ghost commanded Riley to track Iris once more and he moved quickly. Riley ran ahead, the team keeping close to him. Riley slowed, and Ghost noticed. He darted his eyes through their surroundings and saw Iris laying on the ground next to a large grizzly bear. "Fuck... Riley down," he commanded as he walked towards Iris, keeping his eyes on the bear for any movement. Soap kneeled next to Riley, keeping his hand on his collar. Gaz and Price walked behind Ghost, keeping an eye out as well. As he got closer, Ghost began to panic as she didn't move. "Iris." he whispered. The closer he got, the more he noticed the wounds and injuries that covered her body, blood covering her skin and clothes. Now almost standing over Iris, Ghost's eyes widened as he saw her up close. "Fuckin' hell, Iris." he said as he put his weapon back in his waistband. He stood over her, his breathing chaotic and panic growing rapidly. She had deep gashes in her skin, and her throat had been nearly slit. Her eyes were closed, and her lips were parted. Ghost had swore she should've been dead but he saw the smallest rise in her chest. He kneeled next to her, picking her up and bringing her to his chest. "Gaz, put a fucking bullet in that thing to make sure it's dead." Ghost demanded as he walked away, his eyes ready to burst with tears.