Two Sides of The Same Star

Ghost and Iris walked out of the small barracks building, making their way to Ghost's room where he kept Riley. On the way there, they talked quietly. "So how long have you known Konig?" Ghost asked as he sighed, trying to hide the jealousy, but Iris felt it overwhelmingly as she laughed internally. "Only a few days. New Papa turned him like me when he was on the edge of death." she said softly. "New Papa?" Ghost asked, confused. "Yeah, he didn't tell me his name. I only know it from hearing it in conversations but he acted like Papa used to." Iris said as she looked at the ground. Ghost nodded, "He's locked up now, he probably won't ever get out." Iris looked up at him, "Probably?" she asked worriedly. Ghost smiled under his mask, "Very small possibility, almost nonexistent." he assured her. Iris nodded without saying anything. I'm glad you can hear me. Ghost looked at Iris, "I'm not a huge fan of it." he said with a grin. Why not? "Because it's strange," Ghost said as he shook his head, "Feels a little invasive." he finished. Well, whenever you don't want me in your head, just say so. Ghost looked at her, Give me some time to get used to it. Iris nodded, "Okay." she said with a smile.

Finally making it to his room, Ghost unlocked his door and opened the door. Riley was laying on his bed, and perked his head up when the door opened. "Riley!" Iris said loudly. Riley stood up, his ears forward as he tilted his head. "Come here," she said with excitement as she lowered herself to the floor. Riley jumped from Ghost's bed and trotted towards her, sniffing in her direction. His tail wagged as soon as her scent hit his nose, and he began jumping around in excitement. Ghost looked down, admiring both of them as they were equally excited to see each other. Riley whined as he licked her hands and face, and Iris laughed as he did. "Alright, let's go for a walk." Ghost said after letting Riley calm down.

On their walk, Riley and Iris walked next to each other, almost forgetting Ghost was with them. Ghost brought along treats, giving them to Iris when she needed them. They walked the base, Iris giving him commands every so often and Riley compiled each time. After a while, the three stopped to rest by a picnic table outside the mess hall. Riley sat at Iris' feet, panting and wagging his tail with his eyes closed in content. Ghost smiled under his mask, "He hasn't been this happy in a while." he said softly as he pet Riley's head. "I'm just happy he remembers me." Iris said with a smile. "Why wouldn't he?" Ghost asked, you are his mother. Iris looked at him with a surprised look. "Shit, I forgot you can hear me." Ghost said, feeling his face burn a slight ruby. "Sorry, I'll get out of your head." Iris said, feeling embarrassed herself.

After resting in silence, both unsure of what to say, they made their way back to Ghost's barracks. "Can I see him tomorrow?" Iris asked timidly. "Of course you can. I'll come find you after I wake up." Ghost responded as he looked down at Riley. Iris nodded, "Okay, I'll see you tomorrow." Iris turned and walked away, Riley trying to follow before Ghost pulled his collar back gently. "Come on, Riley. Time for bed." Ghost sighed as he pulled him inside and walked to his room.

It had been hours since Ghost laid down. He couldn't sleep from Riley's nearly constant whining as he sat at the door. Ghost tried repeatedly to tell Riley to go to bed, but of course Riley ignored the commands and kept whining. Ghost grew tired of the noise and just wanted to sleep. Iris? He waited for a response. After a moment of silence, he sighed. Iris, are you awake? He waited once more. You can come back into my head, now. He shut his eyes as he waited for a response.

I: Why are you awake?

G: Riley's being a pain in the ass.

I: What's my sweet boy doing?

G: Whining nonstop for hours on end.

I: What did you do to him?

G: I didn't DO anything to him. He wants out.