Riley

The Next Morning

Ghost was standing outside with Soap, scanning the perimeter. "Iris is a fast learner, eh Lt.?" Soap asked nonchalantly. "Yeah, seems that way." Ghost responded. "She's taking a liking to ya, too." Soap bumped Ghost softly. Ghost sighed, "Not like that, Johnny." Soap shook his head, laughing, "You really are clueless aren't ya?" "No, she doesn't even know what that type of shit is," he shook his head. "So if she did, you'd admit it?" Ghost rolled his eyes and walked away, leaving Soap alone on the porch. "Is that a yes?!" Soap shouted before Ghost disappeared into the house, closing the door behind him.

Ghost walked into the living room where Price was sitting with Iris. "Ghost!" she beamed, "Look," she stood up from the floor, walking around the stacks of books that surrounded her, "Price is telling me about animals," she flipped to a page, "This is a shark?" she said as she looked back at Price. "Close, that's a whale." "Right, a whale, a blue whale," Price nodded, "They're the biggest animals in the world." Ghost smiled softly under his mask, "That's right," he said smoothly, "Do you have a favorite so far?" Ghost asked, interested. "Mhm," she flipped the pages until she stopped on one, "This one. A dog. Humans keep them as companions." Iris smiled up at Ghost, "Yup, I have a dog. His name is Riley." Iris' mouth dropped, "You do?!" Ghost nodded. "Can I see him?" she asked eagerly. "That's up to Price and Laswell." Ghost said as he looked at Price. He sighed, "I suppose he'd give us some entertainment." Price stood, pulling his phone out. "Wait," Ghost put his hand up, "I'll call her. I gotta ask her something anyways." He said as he walked away.

As Ghost walked outside, he ignored Soap who was still on the porch and walked out into the yard in front of the house pulling his phone out to call Laswell. "Lieutenant. Didn't expect a call from you." Kate answered. "Iris has a request." "What's her request?" "Uh, Price was showing her animals, and she came across a dog..." he paused, hoping she'd figure out what he was hinting at. After a moment, Kate sighed, "Ah, you want me to bring Riley out there, is that it?" "If you could." "I suppose I can do that for her." Laswell said, sounding like she was smiling. "And uh, one more thing." Laswell waited for Ghost to continue. Ghost sighed, "Do you think you could find me a good telescope?"

After hanging up with Laswell, Ghost walked back inside. "Laswell said she'd bring Riley." he said calmly, hiding his own excitement. Iris smiled widely, "Thank you, Ghost." Ghost nodded as he left her and Price alone to finish their 'lesson'. He walked into the kitchen where Gaz was eating a snack. Gaz tilted his head, saying hello as he entered the room. "Ay Gaz," he leaned against the island, "Do you by chance know how to use a telescope?" he asked cautiously. Gaz furrowed his brows, "I've never used one, why?" he asked. "Well, Iris wants to be able to see the planets, and I asked Laswell to bring us one." He said calmly. Gaz smiled as he raised his brows, "Oh, I'm sure she'll love that. Pretty much all she talks about." He laughed quickly. Ghost nodded, seeming as if something was on his mind. "Everything alright?" Gaz asked. "Yeah, just distracted I guess." Gaz smiled foolishly, "I wonder by what, or who. " He said teasingly. Ghost looked at him annoyed. "It's not a who, " he heard the doubt in his own voice, and shook his head, "I'm just bored, I guess." Gaz nodded, pouting his lower lip, "Well, Riley will be here soon, he'll keep you busy." "That doesn't help me right now," he sighed. Gaz shrugged his shoulders, "Take Iris for a walk, or take your turn teaching her something." He suggested. Price walked into the kitchen, cutting into their conversation, "That's a great idea. I have perimeter checks." He said as he handed Ghost the book he was going over with her. Iris appeared behind him, smiling as she looked at Ghost. "Alright Iris, wanna go for a walk?" Ghost asked as he walked towards her. "Yeah!"

"So I can't pet a bear?" Iris asked with a confused look on her face as she walked next to Ghost. "No," he laughed quietly. "They're so adorable, but I can't pet them. So unfair." Ghost thought to himself for a moment, "Well, maybe you could, since you know, but I wouldn't try." He joked. Iris smiled, "Huh, guess that was the last page." She said sadly. Ghost looked down at her, "Enjoy learning, do ya?" he asked. Iris nodded her head, "Yeah, makes me feel more human. " She laughed. "What else do you wanna learn?" "About you guys, especially you." she said slyly as she nudged his arm. "What about me?" he asked smoothly. "When can I see your face?" she asked curiously. Ghost stopped walking, "Well, why do you want to?" he asked. Iris shrugged her shoulders, "I wanna know what you look like. Please?" she begged. "Is this really that important to you?" he asked, his chest felt like a small fire. Iris nodded as she put her arms behind her back, intertwining her fingers. Ghost sighed, and shook his head, "Alright, just because I don't know what else to teach you." he teased. He grabbed his mask, pulling it over and off his head. Iris stared in awe, "Wow." she whispered. "What?" his tone was slightly worried. Iris shook her head, "N-Nothing. Just-" she cleared her throat, "very, uh, beautiful." Iris swallowed hard. The tension became obvious to Ghost, making his heart pound in his ear. "We should probably get back to the house." He said quietly as he pulled his mask back on. "O-Okay.." Iris responded softly.