Just a Taste of My Skills

How I imagine Evelyn above ^^

*****

Legolas and I followed Aragorn to the stables. Lord Elrond had so graciously given us some of the finest horses of Rivendell and that is something to be reckoned with. Aragorn chose a handsome stallion as black as obsidian with flaring nostrils and elegant legs. Legolas selected a pure-white mare that was a beauty to behold. I paced back and forth in the stable. I could not have just any horse. This horse should be able to serve me faithfully, for I looked at the spirit of the horse; not the appearance.

"Are there any other horses?" I asked politely. The horse-keeper seemed genuinely puzzled. Then, he pointed to a set of heavy doors.

"This horse can not be ridden on. It can not be tamed," he said in a warning voice.

I shrugged and walked inside. I stopped in my tracks. The animal I saw was pathetic and weak. It was bound in chains from head to hoof. I glared at the man angrily. I drew my sword and pointed it at the animal. Aragorn moved to stop me, but he was too slow. I held the blade in front of the horse. Any horse would have immediately flinched, but this one stared at me defiantly. It was decided. I wanted this horse and no other.

With expert precision, I sliced off the locks. The silver chains fell with a "clang." The horse shook its mane. It stared at me with distrust with eyes that were as black as coal. However, something lingered underneath the eyes.

A spark.

It was a spark that I will nurture into a flame that will surpass all other horses.

Stroking its mane, I whispered, "We are one and the same. I looked at you and I knew that you have had a history that was written in the blood of your family. I will prove myself to be worthy, and I hope you will accept me."

The horse stared at me, then lowered its great head. I smiled and led it out of the stables. Legolas gave me a funny look.

"What?" I asked.

"You tamed the horse. You touched its soul and spirit. Few have the gift that you possess," he said solemnly.

I just arched one eyebrow. I had no idea what he meant, but it sounded like a compliment.

"What I mean is that there was more to you than I thought," he said.

I did not know how to reply to that so there came another period of awkward silence.

"Kiyaa!" I cried and urged my horse forward. The others followed in pursuit. Eventually, we were restrained to go at a steady pace because of the hobbits. I stroked my horse's dark mane which was as rough as rope. Suddenly, a spark hit me.

"Larein," I whispered. That was her name. She whinnied in delight. A smile threatened to show at my usual grim lips. I shook my head. This was no time for smiling. Death was near for all of us and nothing must usurp my mission. I snapped the reins and forced Larein to go faster.