We Fall to Pieces

There was dark. Cold, obscure dark that wrapped around me, enveloping me along with it in its foul clutches.

"Hello?" I asked, my voice echoing ominously through the chamber.

I heard several groans and muttering, so I guess the Fellowship was still alive. I hope.

Suddenly, the chamber was filled with shafts of azure blue light, piercing through the shroud of darkness like a sword. The light filled me with warmth, hopefully drying me as well after my recent swim with a certain ugly squid that I happened to know.

Squinting, I strained my eyes to glimpse the figure behind the light. The light dimmed for a slight moment, and Gandalf emerged, muttering phrases to the murky, white crystal embedded on his staff.

Well, great. I have no clue where the rest of those idiots are, and Gandalf is talking to his pet rock.

"Where are the rest of you?" I shouted. No response. Well, I tried asking nicely.

"Come out you idiots or I will feed you to the ugly squid guardian!" I snarled.

I heard some more groans of protest, and those idiots, I mean the rest of the Fellowship stepped into the sphere of light that Gandalf's staff was emitting.

"Are they all right?" I asked Aragorn who was looking after the hobbits.

"I think so," he started before locking his gaze at me. "Well, they look less beaten up than you anyways," he commented, gesturing towards my damp hair and my sopping wet clothes.

"How eloquent," I muttered before struggling to pull out the tangles, "way to say thank you for saving your life."

As the rest of the Fellowship struggled to catch their breath, Gandalf said, "We now have but one choice. We must face the long dark of Moria. Be on your guard, there are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world."

Sighing, Gandalf paved the way for us, holding his glowing staff in front of us like a torch. I held up the rear of the group with Aragorn and Legolas as we made our way through the dismal tunnel.

"Thanks for the lift back there," I muttered at Legolas. It was not often someone saved my life, and I didn't particularly enjoy being in someone's debt.

"You're welcome," he said softly. Turning to look at me, he frowned. "Are you all right?" he asked.

"Soaked and nearly eaten by a squid but fine," I said curtly.

"I guess you had quite the swim," Legolas commented. I glared at him. He was as immaculate as ever and every strand of his blond hair was in place.