Attack of the Wargs

"I hate this trip, I hate this trip, I hate this-" I muttered before being cut off by an annoyed Aragorn. 

    "You do realize that this was the three-hundereth time you said this already," he remarked, his eyebrow raised. 

      "I hate this trip," I concluded. Glancing at him, I grinned, "Three hundred and one times, actually." 

      "Arghhh!!!" I heard a sudden yell that suspiciously sounded like Gimli. Sure enough, he was face-down on the ground, having fallen off of his horse, and was now struggling to sit up. His face was red from embarrassment, having fallen in front of the Lady of Rohan. Catching my eye, Èowyn let out a faint laugh. "That was deliberate," I heard him say, albeit forcedly, "that was completely deliberate." 

      "Ah, such unparalleled deliberation," I said teasingly, helping him up onto Legolas's horse, which Legolas kindly offered. 

     Well, they had come such a long way from hating each other in the council. 

      "And so have you and Legolas," a voice whispered inside my head, making my cheeks flame with the accursed blush. 

       Urging Larein to go faster, I rode side by side with Legolas in compatible silence. "So," he began suddenly, jolting me out of my thoughts, "what do you want to talk about?" he asked. 

      "I didn't know you were such a talkative person," I said, with a tinge of amusement. 

    "Well, we have hours ahead of us; we might as well spend some time to get to know each other better," he started. I studied his expression, trying to decipher any hidden meaning behind those words, but his face remained light, as if just having a conversation with a companion. I felt suddenly disheartened, for some strange reason, but forced myself to make small talk. 

    "So, tell me, how is life in Mirkwood?" I asked, genuinely curious. 

    Legolas's face morphed into a dreamy expression. "It is a truly wondrous place," he began with the air of an excited child, "trees springing out of the Earth; their leaves reaching out to the sun, all manners of flowers perfuming the air, and the sunlight bathes you in warmth- you could sit outside for hours and not know it." 

    "It seems like a wonderful place to live, though it seems you spend much of your time outside as opposed to the palace," I remarked curiously. 

     Legolas's expression turned stony, his blue eyes as hard as flints. I immediately flinched. As if sensing my reaction, Legolas's eyes softened immediately and he said sadly, "I apologize, it's just, I-" he sighed. "My father and I just don't get along most of the time, so I spent much of my time outside of the palace," he whispered, his eyes trained solely ahead of him. 

     "Well that I can relate to," I said, the words escaping from my lips before I could stop them. I winced. It was a mistake. The most stupid of all mistakes.