Saruman's Final Stand

Yes, the tides have turned...

    Snatching my sword beside me, I gave Gimli the signal, who grabbed the base of the horn firmly. A long, low sound reverberated through Helm's Deep, sending a vibration of sound welding through my bones, giving me new strength. 

     "Let this be the hour when we draw swords together!" Théoden cried, brandishing his sword high in the air- his kingly form returning to him, "Fell deeds awake! Now for wrath! Now for ruin! And the red dawn!" 

       I watched as the speech stirred life into the crumpled forms of the men, who faced the quaking door bravely. With a powerful "crash!" the doors splintered apart, a wrecking device sending pieces of glistening wood like arrows towards our flesh. 

     Barely dodging the attack, I felt the sudden sensation of my heart dropping into my stomach as I felt a powerful force lift me into the air and onto a saddle. "Ride with me," I heard Legolas's soft voice alert me to my senses, as I hesitantly wrapped my arms around his waist. With a lurch, Legolas snapped the reins and urged his horse on, sending us hurtling towards the door. 

    "For Eorlingas!" King Théoden cried, his voice resonating through the chamber as the horses gained speed. 

     Holding on to Legolas, I heard the wind roar in our ears as we went on full-gallop, the horse rearing to meet our enemies. Kicking a Uruk-hai in the face as we swifted by, I pressed my sword into Legolas's hand, willing him to take it. Our eyes met. Giving me the briefest of nods, he grasped onto it tightly, slashing at the Uruk-hai and holding them at bay. 

     For a moment, the massive army of Uruks seemed to cower behind the assault of metal and rearing hooves, but they soon pressed towards us with twice as much ferocity, their spears almost bludgeoning me on the head. It was too late. We were surrounded. 

     Just when all hope seemed to be lost, a sudden, piercing neigh was heard overhead. The sound seemed to drift towards us; pure and hopeful before melding into us. "There, in the East," I heard Legolas speak, his eyes drawn to the majestic white horse on the crest of hills, its pure white flank gleaming from the rising sun. A figure clad in white was upon the horse, his presence emanating into even the Uruk-hai, who had stopped their fighting and turned towards the newcomer. His eyes twinkled as he raised his staff into the air. 

      "Well, looks like Gandalf came to join the party," I remarked, my lips curving in anticipation. 

      Shadowfax reared, its front legs raised into the air as if saluting the fighters. "Théoden King stands alone," Gandalf cried, his eyes glinting even more brightly than before. 

     "Not alone," another voice said, the figure of a man riding out towards Gandalf. "Rohirrim!"he shouted, his voice bellowing into the entry of Helm's Deep. 

    "Éomer," I chuckled, feeling a strange surge of euphoria within me. 

    Obeying to the cry of their leader, the horse riders materialized behind Éomer, the neighs of their horses heard across the battlefield; their bronze tipped spears glittering in the sun. "To the king!" Éomer bellowed, brandishing his sword. In perfect time, the horses reared, their hooves striking the bare Earth before galloping down the steep slope, the Riders not letting their charges slip for even an instant. Before I could even marvel at their horsemanship, the Uruk-hai regrouped, pointing their spears at the oncoming force, their disgusting teeth bared into snarls. Raising his staff, Gandalf summoned the rays of the sun, the shining shafts directed into the eyes of the Uruk-hai, which blinded them, forcing them to be unable to retaliate against the onslaught.