Epilogue

As I fastened the saddle to Larein who had freshly rested and groomed, I felt a warm hand on my shoulder. Cursing at my lack of awareness, I spun around and pinned the person who was cloaked against the wall of the stable. Drawing the knife, I said threateningly, "You have thirty seconds, or I will make sure you suffer for eternity." However, the figure raised his hands above his head, pushing down the hood of his cloak, revealing familiar elven features with deep set blue eyes.

   I groaned, anger prickling at the surface. "Legolas, you are a forsaken idiot with pointy ears," I said bluntly, releasing him before fixing Larein's saddle, who somehow looked suggestive with her head cocked to the side.

   "Where are you going?" Legolas asked softly, his eyes fixed on my face.

   "Just going to get a few daggers from the blacksmith," I lied through my teeth, my heart shaking as I uttered those words. No, he can not follow me.

   Studying me intently, Legolas smiled ruefully. "You are lying, mellon nîn," he said, a look of darkness spreading on his face.

    I tried to make my face remain impassive, but my heart shuddered, forcing me to curtail from my decision. "Alright, fine, I'm not going to the blacksmith," I muttered angrily, making Larein huff impetuously.

   Legolas crossed his arms, a look of intensity on his brow. "Tell me something that I don't know, mellon," he said, albeit with betrayal in his features.

   Sheathing my sword, I made a big show in attaching the saddle bag, trying to prolong the short time that we had together. "Listen, Legolas," I said, sighing, my face suddenly looker older, "My vengeance is fulfilled, and all of my friends are now happy." As Legolas opened his mouth to interrupt, I cut him off, "The hobbits finally get to go to their home, Éowyn and Faramir have found their love, and Aragorn and Arwen reunited and became the King and Queen of Gondor. What else could I ask for? What more could I ask? I am content as long as my friends have found their place."

   As if frustrated, Legolas grasped his hand on a nearby pillar, his features darkened. "As long as your friends have found their place? What about me, Genevieve?" he asked, his anger exploding, "are you truly content to leave me behind? Did you even stop to consider what I am feeling? You-- you--" Legolas tore from his words, putting his temple against the pillar. Finally, after taking a deep breath, he said softly, "I don't even know what I feel for you. Did you ever stop to think, Genevieve, about what I am feeling? It is said that elves only love once, and I had thought that Tauriel was my one and only true love, but once I met you, every thought I once had for her disappeared. Do you even know, how hard it is to think of that? I thought I was mad, insane, that I could love you, but here we are." Pausing, he continued, looking straight into my eyes, his gaze piercing, "Don't you see? It's all you, Genevieve. It's all you. Nothing mattered to me anymore after you left, and I thought my soul was going to be in an endless void before I saw you again. Can you truly do that to me? Can you truly leave me?" His eyes stared into mine pleadingly, making my eyes quiver.

    I knew the answer. I couldn't. But Legolas did not know what he was talking about, he did not know what it was like to love a curse. "Listen," I tried to say, but my voice broke, "you are the Prince of Mirkwood, you can't follow me to some forsaken place, especially, Shanelor to piece together my past. You deserve more than that, you deserve an elleth who can make you happy, who can make you feel...loved."