Ending the Curse

"Edoras and the Golden Hall of Medusled. Here, the king lies- under the evil control of Saruman. But there is hope yet," Gandalf said as he looked upon our faces, "Saruman's control is not complete and we shall save the king." 

     "So, we basically have to bust into the palace and free the king; all while risking our lives?" I asked for clarification.

"That sounds about right," Gandalf said briskly as we looked up at the large gray castle that loomed in front of us; embellished with the arms of Rohan. 

  Entering the kingdom cautiously, I curled my lip in disgust as I saw the village; infested with dirt and every matter of grime that covered the pitiful people. Was this the great kingdom of horsemen that I had once heard? I certainly hope not. 

   "Well, you're right about one thing, Gandalf," I remarked, "this village looks just as sick as the king."

     "Be careful what you say, do not expect to be made welcome here," Gandalf whispered; casting a meaningful look at me. 

      As our horses settled down to a trot, I couldn't help but notice all the suspicious glances directed at us by the people, as if they were afraid of us. I narrowed my eyes. I knew that look. It was the same one I wore at every newcomer- usually the look I had when I had suffered betrayal. What exactly had Saruman done with the king for this kind of distrust to appear? 

     Fidgeting uncomfortably as we approached the massive iron doors, I could barely hide my disdain as a handful of guards appeared. The leader- a tall man with red hair and beard blocked our path and announced, "We can not allow you to come to the king while your are armed. Surrender your weapons, by the order of Grima Wormtongue." 

         My eyes darkened. So, Grima had the nerve to show up to this place? 

        Watching as Legolas flipped his blades with a cocky smirk (like the prissy show-off he was) and handed over his bow, I put on my best innocent face as the guard approached me. 

         "Now why would a defenseless woman, such as I, have any weapons?" I asked, casually inspecting my fingernail. 

           I heard several snickers behind me as Legolas and Aragorn chortled with silent laughter. If anything, I was the least defenseless person out of all of them. 

       "Please no tricks, Lady Evelyn," the guard said with an exasperated look, "Lord Grima had informed us of your arsenal." 

        I felt a sickening smile spread on my lips. "So," I mused, "old Wormtongue hadn't forgotten our last encounter, hasn't he?" 

         I watched as the guards became still with apprehension. "Fine," I muttered as the staring- down contest became agonizingly prolonged and began the laborious process to disarm myself. 

          "You wouldn't deprive an old man of his walking stick, would you?" I heard Gandalf say innocently, maybe a little too innocently as the guard motioned towards him.