The Fight for Middle Earth

We stood in the halls of Minas Tirith, silence reigning over us all. Faramir's words rung through my ears, "The hobbits crossed over Ithilien, not two days ago--" But the heavy path of Mordor, riddled with ash and destruction loomed over them; one that I had barely escaped all those years ago, even without the burden of the One Ring. 

   "We need to do something," I finally said, my voice rasped with despair, "we can't leave them to die." 

   The Fellowship cast a look at me, their gazes heavy with sorrow. "But what can we do?" Merry asked, his bruises and scars on his face sending a jolt of remorse within me, "we do not even know if Frodo is... if he is....." Merry's voice broke, as Pippin put a comforting arm around him. My stomach clenched, Merry's words recurring the wrath of my fear. 

   "But if Sauron had the One Ring, we would know it," Aragorn said steadily, his shrewd mind working furiously as he paced back and forth. 

   The clang of a staff hitting the marble was heard. Gandalf was hunched over the strategic table, his body looking gaunt and older as lines creased on his face. "It's only a matter of time. Ten thousand Orcs are between Frodo and Mount Doom." Slamming his fist on the table, Gandalf spoke, his voice broken and horribly hoarse, "I have sent him to his doom." 

  "No," I said boldly, my voice ringing through the halls, "Frodo might be inexperienced and idiotic at times, but his heart is that of a different meld-- and he will not leave the Shire to burn, no, he will not let Middle-Earth perish. All we have to do is buy him some time and a safe passage." 

    "How?" Legolas questioned, but his stance near me had shifted, his eyes speaking of complete loyalty. 

   I paused, my eyes flitting to Aragorn. "Any ideas in that Ranger brain of yours, Aragorn?" I asked. 

   Aragorn tensed, but his eyebrows quickly shot upwards-- he had an idea. Spinning back, he went back to the table; his finger pointing at the section of the map that was Mordor. "We need to draw out Sauron's armies; empty his lands, and we can drive our full forces to the Black Gate. We may not have the strength of arms, but we can at least buy Frodo some time. All we need to do is to keep Sauron's Eye fixed upon us." 

  "And what of Shanelor?" Èomer spoke, as I gave a start when I realized that he was addressing me. I swallowed back the bile that rose in my throat and stared determinedly ahead. 

  "Shanelor will regroup with the armies of Mordor, and their retribution will be swift," I answered, my eyes narrowed, "but the emissary will be eager to.... settle matters with me-- personally." 

    Legolas glanced at me, his eyes widened, but I ignored it. "I will occupy his attention, while the rest of you deal with the Orcs," I ordered, the words foreign on my tongue but I pushed through. 

   There was a moment of silence, but then, Gandalf spoke, his eyes grieved, "Are you sure, Evelyn?" he asked, "that is no small feat--" 

   I cut him off. "We have no choice, Gandalf," I said firmly, "I am the only one who has any chance against him; all of you know this."