Fading Memories

"Kill them," my father whispered.

I clutched my blade and hefted it in my hands. Trying not to notice the frightened stares of the children, I raised my head up. I must do this. If I don't, my people will wither and die like a seedling in the midst of an arid desert.

I looked around. My mother's face was as impassive as ever, and my brothers were stony faced. The only one that caught my attention however was my sister. Her eyes were round with fear and her usual rosy cheeks had paled.

She loathed killing, but she mostly couldn't bear that I had to do this. My brothers did this daily and my mother oversaw the executions of the prisoners of war, but my sister had always told me that I should stay good and pure and be a good older sister. I shifted my weight.

My brothers leaned forward eagerly. They had always been sullen that my father had favored me over them. They also knew that as much of a warrior I was, I could not kill. If I lost my father's favor, there was no telling what he would do to me.

I raised my sword and prepared to strike. My sister's eyes widened.....

***

"Evelyn!" shouted Legolas. I halted and blinked in confusion. I was perched precariously on the edge of a cliff. My left cheek stung as I gingerly touched it. Grimacing, I wiped the blood away on my cape.

The blotch of red marred the elegant, silver cape, but there was nothing at this point that I could do.

"What happened?" I asked shakily to Legolas.

"You don't remember anything?" asked a familiar voice. Aragorn strode towards me.

I shook my head.

Sighing, he wiped some red substance from his sword- blood, my blood. I stared at him, my heart welling with anger and confusion.

"Well, we camped out here after the last bit of snow disappeared. We just set up camp like usual, and you were talking to the hobbits about how to swing a sword with accurate precision. Suddenly, your face just tightened and your legs jerked as if someone was controlling them like a puppet. Your eyes turned into slits of yellow and you started muttering something incoherently. Legolas went to check if you were all right but then you just drew a knife from your cloak and brandished it at him. Me and Boromir tried our best to calm you, but you wouldn't listen. Then, you went for the hobbits, Frodo specifically, and well, you know the rest."

My heart sank. This had happened to me regularly, but I didn't have to restrain it because there was no one by my side who could possibly get hurt. My memories flash uncontrollably sometimes, and when they do, I become a monster. Last time, I found myself in bed with blood welling in my sheets from a wound to my thigh. With no one around to harm, I had become my own victim. I rubbed my temple.