Back at Edoras

So, are you guys ready for the double update:D Here it goes...

***

      I traced my hand against the window, trailing my fingers across the glittering dew that washed anew the glass. A soft knock sounded at the door. "Come in," I said.

Lady Èowyn entered, wearing a pale blue dress with her blond hair braided in the back. "I have come to help you get ready," she murmured, her eyes appraising my simple shift.

"I require no assistance," I said coolly, standing up and sweeping across the room, but not before Èowyn put a surprisingly strong hand upon my shoulder.

"I-I'm sorry," she said, her blue eyes averted, "I have been unreasonably bitter towards you when you were with Theodred and I have treated you as inferior, even as you shed your blood for our people. I am heartfelt sorry for all the incursions I have given you, Lady Evelyn," she finished humbly, her head bowed.

I felt my heart soften despite myself. "There is no need for apology, Lady Èowyn," I said softly, making her blink in surprise.

For a moment, we both stood still, but then Èowyn shook her head in disbelief. "I will never comprehend why men call you an unforgiving scourge," she said, with a hint of mirth in her voice. 

 "Perhaps, then, I have changed," I spoke, knowing full-well that was the truth. I had started out as a cynical, brash maiden, only to be refined like gold; revealing what lay hidden underneath.

Sitting opposite of me, Èowyn handed me a primrose frock, the dress simple and reaching to my knees. "It is not extravagant," she began, "but I believe it will compliment your complexion."

I stared openly at the dress. The style was that of a noble lady, far from befitting a princess, but the shade was not that of a sword-wielding warrior with its light pink color. "If you don't like it, I have others--" Èowyn started, but I cut her off.

"No, thank you," I managed to get out, inspecting the dress.

Slipping into the outfit, I felt the cold material clinging to the curves of my body; the skirt coming down at pleats just above my knees. Before I could turn and leave, however, Eowyn reached out for a box. Upon opening it, I saw that it was filled with white powder.

"Oh, Valar, no," I thought fervently, but Èowyn was adamant upon it. I may have been a princess, but even I was not fond of the foolish makeup that was plastered on the face of so many women. Gripping her brush expertly, Èowyn flitted it across my face- just a light dusting of the insufferable thing and applied a red concoction on my lips that made them seem as if lacquered with blood. As I reached for my hairpin, though, Èowyn stopped me.

"I have something else that would much suit you," she murmured and disappearing into her wardrobe, she returned a moment later with a rose pin; it's polished petals glistening in the light.

I felt my heart sink into my stomach. Staring at me curiously, Èowyn frowned slightly as I didn't accept it. Swallowing back my excuses, I undid my braid; letting my hair swing loose around my shoulders and behind Eowyn's back, stuck my original hairpin into my boot.