Chapter 9

5:21pm

Vincent Levough stands at Kappa Aegis' porch, escorting Tyler out of the door. "Are you sure you don't want a ride? I can take you home if you want."

"My Dad's buying me a car and I'd like to enjoy taking the bus for the last time. Y'know, be normal for once." Tyler shrugs.

Vincent raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure? It won't be safe."

"I have a taser, don't worry." Tyler smiled. His chest tingles at Vincent even though it's in his nature to be concerned about everyone. "I'll see you on Monday? We still have pledges to enforce."

"Don't pressure yourself, have a good weekend."

Tyler was waiting at the bus stop, listening to the calming tunes of the biosphere while watching the sunset. The bus stop is the best place to watch it; no buildings to block the park where it sets. He remembers waiting with Kei; his best friend's head on Tyler's shoulder and drooling.

Fúck, I miss him. Taking out his phone, he decides to check on Kei. Tomorrow is Saturday, I'll buy and games we could pla

A car pulled up abruptly, a black 2017 Tesla 4X. Xavier exited the vehicle to Tyler's surprise, making his way to the passenger side's door and opening it.

"Get in."

"E-excuse me, what?" Tyler flustered a bit, his heart hammering in his chest.

"Oh, I'm opening this door for the flies?" Xavier smirks. "Get in."

Tyler crosses his arms stubbornly. "I'll take the bus, thank you very much."

Xavier rolled his eyes, stepping towards Tyler and snatching him off the sidewalk. "Hey! What the—the hell do you think you're doi—agh!"

Shoving him into the car, Xavier leaned over and wrapped the seatbelt to secure him.

Xavier was too close, Tyler could smell him. Such masculinity... he has to bury himself deeper into the seat. "Th-this... this is kidnapping."

After securing the belt, Xavier remained to hover over Tyler's face, heating up the boy even more.

"You're not a kid."

When Xavier pulled away, Tyler released a breath he never knew he was holding. "Fine... where are--we're going home, right?" Xavier closed the door and entered the driver's seat.

"See that thing over there?" Xavier pointed at the backseat. Tyler looked, seeing a basket with a lot of food stuffed inside.

"A... a picnic...?" Tyler said softly. His stomach fluttered with flesh-eating butterflies. It was a beautiful feeling, but Tyler's stubbornness suppressed it. Yet, he can't go really shít on Xavier for it. It was sweet.

Xavier met Tyler's bewildered eyes, then avoided it with a smirk. "It was Ryland's idea. I was just forced."

"Oh were you...?"

"You don't mind, do you? Of course, you don't. Just shut up, then." Xavier chuckled lightheartedly. Tyler playfully punched him on the shoulder with slight force.

Deep inside, Tyler was both confused and giddy. Why is he acting this way? Does he even have feelings? That's impossible, Xavier's like his worst enemy. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer, they said. What happens when the enemy gets close?

Somehow, they end up eating on the hood of Xavier's Tesla. Tyler has his legs crossed on top of it, and Xavier just leaned in because his mass might dent the car if he climbs up.

Tyler can't help but steal glances at Xavier. Finally, he spoke. "What's gotten into you, though? This is like... not the emo Xavier I knew."

"Panic at the Disco and Sesame Street is still my life," Xavier replied. Tyler snorted, but suppressed his laugh. "A little change never hurt anyone..."