Chapter 6.

We arrived at District 13 atlas.

The atmosphere here is a lot cooler and damper compared to both District 12 and the Capitol

Miles and I individually got our own separate rooms. Not that we could keep the whole room to ourselves. We were assigned with a roommate. I haven't had the chance to meet them yet.

As the old gentleman promised; our belongings were in our rooms after inspection. Everything except our weaponry we had carried, of course. Which is obviously fair considering they have taken us in, providing us safe passage. That was more than we could have asked.

I was briefly abbreviated by someone in charge that I needed to see a doctor whenever I had the chance. Most likely to check my vitals signs and to take a look at my leg to see if it was healing properly.

I agreed as I accepted my new uniform, closing the door to my room. To no surprise to anyone, it was gray. This place lack of color if you ask me..

At least they were kind enough to let me keep my rainbow dress. As much as I hated to admit, I missed the color and the scenery of the outdoors.

I had an hour to kill before they served us our meals for the day. I slowly killed time as I walked around the armory, getting myself familiar with the place. It was pretty basic and self-explanatory when it can to an armory.

There was the cafeteria, a large meeting room, an armory base and the living quarters. The room isn't as spacious as she had hoped for. It was quite depressing if she took the time to think about it. No sunlight, no space and most importantly no privacy.

Everyone in the armory was a stranger to her, besides for Miles. She couldn't socialize with anyone as she did back in District 12 back at the Hub. Everyone had a role to fulfill to keep this place alive.

The intercom came on, letting everybody know that the cafeteria was now open to the public. I slowly yet casually made my way down to the cafeteria, bracing myself in case anyone would've recognized me. Strangely enough, that wasn't the case.

Today they were serving a vegetable broth with giant chunks of chicken accompanied by a portion of baked potatoes. I grabbed the food from the server as I looked around the room for a place to sit.
As I scanned across the room, I stumbled upon a familiar face. Miles. I made my way over to him and sat down across to him.

"Hey stranger."

I said as his face instantly lit up

"I was wondering when you would show up." 

He said with a welcoming smile on his face, feeling a sense of relief to see a familiar face.

"How are you holding up?

"I honestly can't say for certain."

I said as he took a sip of his broth

"It all seems too good to be true."

He instantly nodded his head as he wiped his lips.

"I get that. It's not District 7 or 12, that's for sure."

"I just find it a bit strange."

I said quietly, making sure only Miles could hear me.

"They let us in their home without questioning our motives? Why is that?"

I questioned.

He slowly leaned in closer to me as he stopped himself briefly, making sure no one was watching us

"What are you trying to say?"

"I think they know something. Otherwise, why bring us here?"

He quickly made a face as he lean back, instantly changing the topic

"So what have you learned so far about this place?"

Hinting we were being watched.

"Just the basics."

I said instantly, keeping my face as neutral as possible.

"Wake up every day at 7, do our job and go to school, and lights out by 10."

He looked at me impressed as I took a sip of the broth.

"What did they assign to you anyway?"

"Nothing official yet."

He said taking a sip of pomegranate tea he had gotten.

"They have asked what I did back in my district for reference.. Most likely, they will assign me off as a guard."

I instantly raised my brow confusion

"I haven't been asked anything yet."

As he was about to respond to me; A young woman about our age or perhaps younger came to introduce herself to us

"You must be my new roommate."

She said, looking towards me.

"My name is Alma Coin."

"I have a strong feeling we will become best of friends."