Chapter 8.

I took a deep breath as I cautiously opened the door to the other side, letting myself out.  It was past curfew and everybody had already gone to their rooms for the night. I quietly wandered in the darkness, holding on to the map acting as my compass. Miles' room was a level above mine, leading us to the place Alma had recommended for us to go.

I made my way to the stairwell as I began to climb the stairs, spiraling with ideas and questions with every step I took. Why did Miles want to see me this late at night, knowingly we could potentially get in trouble if we were to be caught? Was he that determined to see me?

I knew we agreed to see each other at lunch, but I never considered the thought we would meet up so late at night. Slowly, but surely, I arrived at his headquarters unscathed, proceeding to slide a note under the door letting him know that I was here.

I slowly heard the door unlock as Miles opened the door slightly, looking back at his roommate, making sure he was still fast asleep.

"Hey."

He whispered as he was still oddly enough  behind the door.

"Hiya stranger."

I said in a hush tone with my eyebrows raised up high.

"Are you coming out?"

"Yeah yeah." 

He said as he slowly steps out, closing the door behind him.

"I was thinking we should go down the hall to the last floor.."

Miles said, looking at me perplexed.

"I have a surprise for you."

"A surprise?"

I said flustered, not expecting him to say that.

"What is it?"

I said instantly as my curiosity set in.

"You'll see."

He said as he couldn't his smile hidden.

We slowly made it done the last flight of stairs as I turned to him, not knowing what to expect.

"Close your eyes." 

He said as I looked at him innocently.

"Why?"

I asked as he shakes his head needlessly.

"Don't you trust me?"

"Fine.."

I said, closing my eyes, sticking my hands out to him

"I trust you."

He said nothing as I felt a familiar object in my hand as I held it tighter

"No way."

I said as I couldn't contain my excitement any longer. It was a beautiful, pristine acoustic guitar, like I had back at the Convey in District 12.

"How did you get this?"

I said as I carefully held it as if it were made of glass.

"Let's just say I have my ways around this place."

He stated with a smile as I slowly placed my guitar down.

"Thank you."

I said as I ran into his arms as if it were second nature. He held on to me tightly with the same intensity as I had, or more.

"I can't thank you enough."

I said breathing down his shirt, about to burst into tears

"You don't know how much this really means to me."

I said, barely pulling myself away as I stared deeply into his dark chocolate brown eyes.

His eyes strongly beam with focus on my eyes, leading down towards my lips. He still had his hands carefully placed on my waist as I held on to his muscular arms. I slowly, but surely stood up to his height, making my way towards his lips slowly kissing him.

He instantly reacted, giving me a kiss in return as he slowly pulled away to look at me.

"Is it safe to assume that you will play me a song soon?"

My eyes instantly lit up at the thought that I was able to play and sing my songs in such a dull, gray place like District 13.

"You bet your Lucy Gray, I am."

I said as I couldn't contain my excitement. He slowly looks down at my lips once more, letting go of my waist.

"I'm glad to hear it."

He said, gesturing for us to go.

"It's getting late; we should head back before somebody notices that we're gone."

"Yeah, you're right, we should head back."

I said, grabbing the guitar with one hand as Miles and I headed back up the staircase. He brought me back to my room as I slowly turned to look at him.

"This is my stop."

I said as he turns to me.

"I'll see you tomorrow morning for breakfast?"

"Yeah, that sounds great."

I said, looking down at the ground and back towards him "I'll see you tomorrow for breakfast."

"Good."

He said as he slowly kissed my left cheek.

"Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

I said, opening the door stepping into the room as I watched Miles heading upstairs to his.

I set the guitar to the side as I quietly closed the door. I slowly turned to look at Alma as she was still sound asleep. I slowly picked up the guitar, setting it beside my bedpost as I quickly jumped into bed. Tonight, out of all nights; has been one of the most memorable nights she has experienced in such a long time.

She didn't know if it was just from the heat of the moment or what possessed her to doing so, but the kiss Miles and her shared was remarkable. Just the thought of his lips pressed against her made her heart skip a beat.

As she continued to reminisce about what had happened moments ago; the entire room suddenly began to shake violently as all the lights in the room began to flickered in a matter of seconds.

"What's going on?"

I said instantly turning to Alma terrified not knowing what was happening in the moment.

"We are being attacked."