A lesson in trust and the absolute best Christmas present

Harry kept his promise to Draco and worked only as an investigator. It was very demanding work, and Harry, who was not used to being locked in an office all day, was extremely tired in the evening. Often, he went back home to Grimmauld Square without stopping by Draco's. It had no effect on his hands, but Draco was paralysed with suspicion. What if Harry works with an attractive colleague? Who does he spend his evenings with? He only needed me for healing and now for sex. Sure, why would the Chosen One mess with someone with the Dark mark on his arm? Draco was very resourceful with self-tormenting thoughts. He seemed confident on the outside, but deep down, he was still very insecure. When he left the dark side during the war and joined Harry's supporters, he had to show great courage. In fact, there was still a piece of the little boy in him who had been so afraid in the Forbidden Forest and so longed for Potter to acknowledge him and not despise him. He thought he had earned his respect a few weeks ago, but now he wasn't so sure.

Will it be too humiliating if I go see him in the evening? Just like that, without an invitation? Draco hesitated for a long time, leaving the house and returning several times, so it was half-past nine when he appeared at Harry's door. Harry came to open the door with only a blanket wrapped around his waist, his hair was all dishevelled, and his cheeks pink. He looked very suspicious! Draco's blood froze. He must have gotten out of bed, in which he probably wasn't alone, after all, he would not go to bed at nine o'clock. But Harry smiled innocently at him and pulled him inside.

"Draco, sorry, I was already asleep. I've had too much work lately. That doesn't change the fact that I'm very glad to see you." Harry gave him a languid hug, and the blanket fell to their feet.

Draco gripped Harry so tightly that he almost couldn't breathe. Seeing that Harry was shivering from the cold, he wrapped him in a blanket and led him back to the bedroom.

"Can I stay with you?"

"Yeah. All night, please. I want you to be the first thing I see in the morning," Harry said sleepily.

Draco waited until he fell asleep.

"I love you, Harry," he whispered when he was sure his friend couldn't hear him. And then one more time. And again. "I love you, Harry."

----

The fact that Albus and Scorpius had been best friends since the first time they met on the train to Hogwarts made the whole situation a lot easier. Draco invited Albus Potter to the holidays as his son's friend and didn't have to explain why he invited Harry too. The boys were excited, and their ubiquitous laughter and banter pleasantly brightened the days of their fathers, who were grateful not to have to deal with questions about their relationship. Draco was glad that Harry was moving back into Malfoy Manor, but it bothered him that he was avoiding any intimacy. Slytherin hoped that the lack of physical contact would show on Harry's hands, but nothing of the sort happened. Harry was perfectly fine, apart from bruising his ribs a bit from a hard landing on the broom while saving Draco's son from an even harder landing. Scorpius liked Harry so much that it made both Draco and Albus jealous. And that slight jealousy gave Draco the courage to bring up the forbidden topic that was on both of their minds the day before Christmas Day.

"You're fine," Draco stated.

"Yeah, thanks Merlin," Harry said.

"I thought you needed me, that your hands would turn black without me."

"I need you."

"You can handle it without me."

"Draco, you must have misunderstood what Confisio Suprema means."

"What do you mean?" Draco was afraid of what he was going to hear. The feeling that Harry didn't need him, that he had nothing to offer him, was terrifying.

"It's about trust. As long as I trust you, nothing will happen to me. Whether we sleep together is beside the point."

Draco wondered if this was good news or bad news. In fact, he should be glad that Harry trusted him. However, you can also trust your best friend. Isn't this just some form of friendship with benefits?

Harry noticed his brooding.

"Everything is all right. I trust you. And I love you."

This was the best Christmas present Draco had ever received. He didn't have to say anything at all, and Harry knew it. He could see the gleeful sparks in his eyes. This is what you wanted to hear, Draco? I can tell you that every day. I want to tell you this every day. And I will. Gryffindors have no problem with that.