A brilliant Auror or a mountain troll?

Draco tried desperately to recall all the information about the curse Imperius. A page from a textbook was vividly displayed in his head. Only a strong-willed wizard can defy the curse. I'm a strong-willed magician, dammit! So why am I sitting here now writing what the son of a bitch is telling me?

The quill scratched at the parchment, and Draco wrote what was dictated to him in his neat handwriting.

Harry,

I'm sory to cause you pein, but I had to make a decision before it got any worse. I let our relationship go further than I wanted and needed tim to think. Please don't look for me, I will contact you.

Draco

Even though Draco's mind was largely clouded by the curse, he saw through the genius of the strategy. No breakup, just wavering, raising doubts. This isn't planned to hurt Draco, this is planned to hurt Harry. Draco wasn't able to resist the Imperius completely, but he didn't fully submit to it either. He had a part of clear consciousness left and decided to make the most of it. He deliberately made a few spelling mistakes in the text he had to write that his not-so-savvy captor didn't notice.

---

Harry was home alone when the owl brought him the letter. His heart pounded, the words of the letter blurred in front of his misted vision. Thoughts swirled wildly in anticipation. He recognised Draco's handwriting. He read the contents of the sentences several times before learning them by heart. The hands dropped, and the letter fell to the floor. His mind was suddenly so numb that he couldn't understand human speech.

What he had feared from the beginning had happened. Draco was overwhelmed by the intensity of their relationship. He needed to break free. His Draco, about whom he was so worried, left him ... Tears fell from Harry's eyes at the letter in his hand again, he re-read it to torture himself into excruciating pain. How upset must Malfoy have been that he missed so many mistakes?

I shouldn't have pressured him so much, confessed my love for him. Of course, it freaked him out! Harry was completely broken, so desperate that he didn't even notice that his hands were starting to burn.

First of all, he needs to tell the Malfoys to stop worrying. Then cancel the search. Then get drunk into unconsciousness.

He decided to go to the Malfoys in person. It will be very humiliating to admit to those proud aristocrats what their son has done to him, but there is no other way. Harry walked to clear his mind. He remembered how nice the Malfoys had been to him, how well Narcissa had received him. Scorpius was really fond of him.

Scorpius! The memory hit Harry in the head like a hammer. Would Draco leave his own son on Christmas Day? The dad who reads the manuals for parents of little wizards? This is absolute bullshit, Potter!

Harry was angry at himself. He was thinking only of himself, and it didn't occur to him that Draco had other commitments, and even if he left Harry, he would never leave his son or leave his parents without a single message.

He arrived at Malfoy Manor with a completely different message than the one he had prepared when he left home.

Narcissa read the letter. "Draco would never make spelling mistakes like that. He might miss a comma, but he would never write this. Either he didn't write it, or he wants to tell us something."

"I'll have a graphological analysis done," Harry promised.

Narcissa watched his hands the whole time. He noticed it.

"Everything is fine," he tried to reassure her.

"Really?"

Nothing was fine. The first black spots appeared on his hands.

"I trust him, I don't suspect him of anything, I know he would never leave his family at Christmas," Harry actually defended himself mainly against his own remorse.

"Harry, just a moment of mistrust, and it's going to get worse. You really didn't hesitate for a moment?" Narcissa asked suspiciously.

For a moment. Heck, I'm only human too. Yeah, I just didn't think for a few minutes.

"I trust him," Harry said.

"That's good," Narcissa nodded, but she knew her stuff. "Any hesitation causes aggravation, and Draco isn't here to help you. It is irreversible."

It is irreversible. This means that a few minutes of suspicion, jealousy, anger and mistrust will cause Harry's hands to burn like he fell asleep in the hot sun. Remorse, guilt, sore hands, fear for Draco...

"You need to rest, Harry," Narcissa said.

She saw to it that he at least ate properly. Harry then made his way to the Ministry to continue his investigation.