Inherited Malfoy intelligence

Graphological analysis proved the authenticity of the letter. Yes, Draco wrote it. By the time Harry heard the news, he was completely calm, immune to all suspicion. He felt he had failed. Narcissa knew of his weakness. Draco was in danger, and he suspected him of leaving him. He deserves the pain burning his hands right now. No matter what happens, he will not be fooled again. If he failed like that again, he might lose the ability to use his hands, and the pain would be excruciating. How could he continue his investigation?

He met the Malfoys in the afternoon. He considered whether he should inform Scorpius about the letter. He is a very bright boy and should know the truth. Harry decided to show him Draco's letter and tell him everything he knew. Scorpius is an important witness.

Harry was moved by how pleased Draco's son was to see him. His hug reminded him again how stupid he had been.

"Scorpius, so nice to see you. I bring good news. Your dad is alive."

Harry had never seen such happiness in someone's eyes.

He showed him the letter.

"I think he wants to tell you something. Someone made him write it. Dad wants you to know that what he's writing to you isn't true."

Even the little boy has more sense than me, Harry scolded himself. He was thinking. Could Draco resist the Imperius curse? Maybe his parents would know. His school records will also need to be reviewed. Harry remembered Draco was an excellent student, but he wasn't sure how he mastered Defense Against the Dark Arts. The medical records could reveal more about the strength of his magical core.

"What's wrong with your hands?"

Damn, that kid has eyes everywhere. Should I tell him the truth? I don't want to lie to him, he would surely figure it out.

"Draco and I have such a magical connection."

Scorpius's eyes widened. "Does that mean there's something wrong with dad?"

No, it means there's something wrong with me, that I'm a suspicious idiot.

"It means I miss him a lot," Harry replied as Scorpius took his hands.

"I'm sorry. I miss him a lot too. You will surely find him, Harry. I believe you."

The touch of a child's hand was so healing! For a moment, Harry felt that his beloved Draco was touching him, that he was with him and would help him. It was only a moment, and after Harry said goodbye to young Malfoy, the searing pain returned in full force.

---

Harry went about his investigation in a systematic and disciplined manner. He went through copies of Draco's report cards. Draco was an excellent student but didn't excel in defence against dark arts. But without a doubt, he has a strong will. He passed the school defence against dark arts exams decently, but he succeeded due to the theory as he had quite a gap in practice.

Medical records showed that Draco's health had not shown any deviations from the norm, he had never suffered from any serious illness, only being treated for mild depression during his studies. He was once hospitalised for an overdose of a sedative potion. That date! It was the day after Harry cast Sectumsempra on him. He injured not only his body but apparently his soul as well. Harry's heart sank. Maybe he was also the reason why Draco was in so much trouble at Hogwarts. He certainly didn't make it easy for him. But back then, everything was different. Harry was convinced that all he felt for Draco was hatred back then. Only Merlin himself knows that sometimes Harry had other thoughts regarding his classmate. Inconceivable. Sinful. He didn't allow them. He pushed Draco out of his mind, and if they hadn't met at parent-teacher conferences, the memory of him would probably have slowly faded.

Draco's magical core was healthy and strong at the last examination. At least that way. Maybe he could resist Imperius after all?

Narcissa confirmed his opinion unequivocally.

"Yes, I think he could do it, at least partially. Draco can be very strong and determined when he wants to be."

Lucius thought the exact opposite.

"I don't think that Draco would be able to resist Imperius. In any case, he certainly did not leave of his own volition. I'm going to get involved myself when those dumb Aurors haven't been able to figure anything out all this time. Anything!"

It was true. Harry was already ashamed of so many things that he preferred not even to look Lucius in the eye. If Malfoy initiates some action on his own, he can make a pretty big mess.