51. Stock Flower

A/N: To know what led up to the current events in this chapter, you may need to read Flowers at Night, Chapter 5. Wishbone Flower

August sighed as she read the instructions on the two boxes of plan B. She hummed and then read the second one.

Claude chewed at the inside of his mouth, waiting for Auggie to pick something, while Bucky was leaning against the shelf reading along with her.

"Why not just take 2? I picked up more condoms... for another time. Just in case another accident like that happens."

August shrugged at Theo's suggestion. "Eh, only one is recommended, Buck. Thankfully, we came to our senses before it got too extreme. That bath bomb was way too strong. Uhm, this one." She handed it to Bucky, "and yes. More condoms." She patted his shoulder, then turned to see Claude now chewing the nail of his thumb. "Claude, I'm okay."

"Are you!?" He snapped in as low a yell as he could. "You could be preg-"

"And I'm not. This is why we're buying this pill. I know you didn't intend to finish inside me, but we need to be level-headed about this. I'm not ovulating, but I rather not take the chance. Come on." She took his hand and guided him behind her as Bucky frowned at her. "Say it. I know you feel just as guilty too, even if you're not saying anything."

Bucky sighed, then spoke. "I feel responsible."

"Well, you're being responsible more by buying me the pill, and getting more condoms-pick up some lube too, silicon and water-based. Here." She handed him the two she picked out and Bucky smirked.

"Are you even worried?" Bucky asked.

"Not so much. Worrying gets me nowhere. Also, once I take this... I'll be just that much safer. You're buying me ice cream too."

"Am I?" Bucky asked.

August simply looked at him and walked off.

"Pistachio?" Bucky inquired, hooking an arm around Claude's neck as he tugged him in the opposite direction of Auggie.

"You know it." She called out as she proceeded to walk away from them.

Claude scoffed and shrugged out of his boyfriend's hold to which he arched a brow. "Why aren't you freaking out about this?"

Bucky stopped walking and rested his hands on Claude's shoulder after setting down the basket. "Babe, we're being mindful to take care of it. And if it comes to... that, then we'll deal with that too, okay?" Claude nodded, eyes glassy as he swallowed softly. Bucky kissed his forehead. "We'll be fine." He pulled the younger one into a hug, pressing his lips to his temple as he comforted him.

It was a stupid and thoughtless mistake, and neither of them was in their right mind while it happened, but the weight of the guilt still rested on his back like a steel ball. Yeah, he didn't mind having kids, but not yet. Not while they were still this young. The world had so much more in store for them and he needed to find out what that was. When the older one pulled away he smiled along with him. "Thank you."

"I think you needed that hug more than, Auggie." Bucky quipped. Claude swatted his arm, and the two laughed as they turned to get the ice cream for their girlfriend.

~ ~ ~

August chatted with the girls as Bucky and Claude rang up the items. She had panicked a little after their senses came back, but she couldn't allow herself to go into silent panic mode because she still had the option to stop anything from happening. Claude had simmered down significantly from earlier when he nearly burst into tears apologizing. Bucky had this eerily calm aura around him as he got up and got dressed, then instructed them to do the same. He hadn't said a word, but she could feel the way he was kicking himself in the ass over what happened. She sighed, then looked up at them. The pharmacist looked like he wanted to question them, but respectfully didn't. The only words that he said other than, 'Hello, how can I help you?' and, If she knew when the pill should be taken?' He was professional and kind, his eyes didn't linger on her partners, nor did he question them. The staff here must see a lot of odd couples and questionable things in a day of working here, but as far as she was concerned, her business was to ensure she would not get pregnant and that her boyfriends stayed calm in turn.