12. Rose

Dedicated to my patient and awesome friend and fan BadAssKhala for the motivation and adoration xoxo

The wind blew, soft and warm as August sat outside near the greenhouse sketching a vase of roses that she intended to color in later once she gets home from volunteering with Rachel, it had been a bit too long since she'd seen her and she wanted to catch up with her. She hadn't had much to do today, her classes had done little work and only had long lectures and or reviews of their past work. She had seen Claude earlier, but he had an emergency meeting with the Photography club about an issue with a model for their upcoming photobook and also they had to discuss dates for this year's yearbook. She sighed, finishing off her sketch with a little shading at the tip of the leaves. She looked down at her work and was pleased with how well it had turned out, given that the previous ones had to be scrapped and started over because... picky artists are all hopeless perfectionists. She giggled at that last thought.

The sound of pattering footfall met her ears and she bit her lower lip because Claude always met her here... alone. This sound was more than one person. She gulped and put her book and pencils away into her bag without looking forward and zipped it up then slipped her arms into the bag straps quickly before she rose and turned only to come face to face with Brook Cassidy, Bailey George, Blaire Walton, and Aspen Finn... these four girls acted as if they ruled Warwick High School, home of the bumblebee, correction, Brook acted like she ruled the school because her parents have fat pockets and spacious enough closets to hide all their skeletons in. Blaire scoffs in the background as she narrows her clear brown eyes at August. Blaire Walton, she was more or less an under zealous patron in her cousin's scheming plans because she was only with the gang for about 50% of the time. She also happened to serve as the muscle of the bunch since she's quite strong from years of doing gymnastics.

August fixed her shoulders, not in the mood to look weak. "I was just leaving. Do you need something?" She was trying to give off a look of nonchalance with her uninterested gaze. She looked down at Brook, her height being impressive enough to be just taller enough to see over Brook's head, but it wasn't enough to tower over Blaire or Aspen Finn who were the tallest of the bunch, Aspen did not put enough fear into August as much as Blaire did since Blaire could actually leave a mark if she did punch her anywhere.

August didn't want to appear as of she was terrified of them, but she was alone and as the case may seem, she was not much of a fighter... she could probably manage to throw a punch and then high tail it out of there before anyone could notice... she did use to run track when she was in elementary, so she could more than likely outrun them.

Brook exhaled heavy and folded her arms over her chest. "Oh, you think you're a catch because you somehow got Claude Mason to fall for you, huh?" August tilted her head and rose her brow. Now, she was lost, this conversation was not making any lick of sense to her.

"Uhh, if this is where this conversation is going, then I have better things to occupy my time with." She turned to her right but Bailey stepped in her way. August held back her urge to roll her eyes. Bailey George was more a quiet follower than an outstanding figure in this gang. She was like a puppy trying to put on the mask of a bulldog, and no matter how much she growled, her cuteness did nothing more than make everyone coo at her.

August couldn't deny how smart Bailey was though, it's just that she had joined the dark side for protection instead of becoming another victim to bullying. "I'm trying to walk, would you mind stepping aside please?" She asked giving her a sweet smile.

Bailey's tough face fell and gave way to a confused befuddlement. "Umm..." she looked over at Brook which gained her a fiery blue glare, shook her head, and placed her fist at her hips. "No. B--Brook says you cannot go until after she's done with you." August sighs. It was worth a try at least.