14. Sweetpea

Claude picked up August from the nurses office after school was over. She couldn't put too much weight on her ankle since it was still swollen so he his brother Blaine to help out with carrying her bag. "So what the hell happened for you to warrant Brook's attention so much that she even thought to hurt you this bad?" He asked as Claude helped walk through the hallway where they caught the eyes of most students. She scoffed.

August shook her head. "Bitterness breeds hatred, Blaine. She's bitter that I'm dating your brother and that I painted her black, so she thought it would be a perfect revenge to find me alone one day and assault me. Like she told me, I'm no one and I wouldn't be able to even make anyone believe me... but she was wrong." She tapped Claude's shoulder to make him stop walking and she met Blaine's eyes, "but come tomorrow, we'll see who's a nobody."

Blaine smiled. "You're a really tough girl, August. I can't wait to see Brook get hers." The trio carried on to Claude's car where they left the school.

》》》》》

August had to explain to her mother that night what had happened in school and how she got injured since the principal called her at work and told her the shocking news, spearing her the details that August had told her earlier. After dinner she stood in the bathroom infront of the mirror, when a knock came.

"Auggie?" Asora called.

August tilted her head at her reflection. "Yes mom?"

"Can I come in?" Asora asked, her hand pressed against the cool surface of the door.

"Yeah." August muttered, her mom pushed the door open and entered the bathroom.

"How's your ankle?" Asora asked, touching her shoulder.

August sighed. "Sore, but better. Hey mom, can you help me with something please?" Her mother's green eyes met hers in the reflection and she nodded.

"Of course sweetie, what is it?"

》》》》》

The morning came with a soft chill in the air, a sign that autumn was slowly approaching. Mrs. Gage-Chandler drove her daughter to school that morning,

August as always adorned a crown of flowers, but this time it was babies breaths and white daisies, matching her white button down top that she paired with a black skirt that had black suspenders which were coupled with knee-high black socks and black and white converse.

August looked down to her hands that were cool against the glass vase.

"We're here sweetie, you ready?" Asora said.

August exhaled softly through her mouth then smiled towards her mom. "I'm ready, mom." Her mom smiled back and they got out of the car. August took care to pace herself as she walked, handing her mom the vase as she fixed her bag on her side. She had to change her regular school bag to a single strap side-bag that she had since her other bag was ruined. She sighed, today would be a difficult day to endure, she could feel it, as if a black cloud loomed over the entire school.

"Hey Auggie?" Claude called.

August's cheeks flared red as saw spotted Claude waving at her as he nodded towards where she and her mother were.

Asora beamed as Claude threw his arms around August's waist and picked her up, being careful with her as she hugged her arms around his neck carefully.

This was going to be August's only moment of happiness today, so she enjoyed it, kissing his forehead once he set her back on her feet.

"August, your hair." Claude noted, eyes wide as she ran a hand over her short dark curls.