17. Hyacinth

Claude dropped off August at home since he had to meet up with his mom. She kissed him goodbye and waved him off as she stood by her front door and watched him drive away with his siblings in tow. Although the day began on a rough note and had a few bumps in the road, it ended quite well.

The smile on her face was bright as she entered the house, her arm wasn't hurting her, her ankle didn't ache as much and she was finally home where she could relax before taking her homework. She walked in and saw her brother sitting on the couch with his earbuds in, she smiled at seeing him here and not out and about with a less-than-acceptable crew. "Hey, bro?" She said waving her hand before their face.

He looked up and pulled the left earbud out. "What's up? You okay?" She nodded.

"I'm great actually, today was... eventful, but good." She turned and sat next to him, putting her feet up on his lap. He touched her knee before he took off her shoes. "How's your ankle?"

"It's good, I took my pain meds, so it doesn't hurt as much right now."

He leaned back. "Good, and how's that boyfriend?" His face was less than enthusiastic as he asked the question but August just brushed it off and smiled. "He's the best, always ready to help me if and when I need it and he's still as sweet as ever." She didn't miss the small smile that ghosted over his lips for a hot second before he turned to look at her and shrug.

"Eh, once he isn't hurting you then I'm good." He ran a hand over his hair which he had cut shorter as well. August rose her foot and nudged his arm. "You like him, don't you?"

He caught her foot and sighed. "Look, you've been the type to stay to yourself, so when I saw him with you I figured he was a jerk who was maybe playing with your feelings. But... after yesterday and seeing how he took care to get your home safely, well... it changed my thoughts on him. But don't get me wrong, he's still dating my baby sister, so I won't lower my guard for anything even if I may like him a little bit now."

"Aww, you like him." She reached out and wrapped her good arm around his neck. He yelped and chuckled as he tried to break out of her grasp. "That's all you heard from what I said Auggie?" He snickered. She pressed a kiss to his temple and then finally let him go. He sat back and smiled. "Whatever. I'm just happy you're okay."

"Of course. I gotta be, dad wouldn't want it any other way."

"And neither would mom." They shared a moment of silence before Ames lifted her legs carefully and set them back down. "You must be hungry. I'm gonna start on dinner. Why don't you relax."

"Wait, mom—"

"She called earlier, the restaurant's a little busy today so she said that she's closing the flower shop early to help out."

She had forgotten that it was now the busy season for flowers and business. "Oh, so it's just gonna be the two of us?"

"Correct."

"Thank you." He turned back and smirked. "Don't worry about it. My job is to take care of you, no matter how much we may argue at times."

"I love you too bro."

He stuck his tongue out before he walked off to the kitchen.

》》》》》

Dinner went well, Ames prepared a baked macaroni and chicken with mixed veggies and corn and it was quite delicious up until the point where August felt like she couldn't move. When she finally moved she took a shower and Ames rubbed her ankle so she could put on her brace. She thanked him and he went off to sleep an hour before their mom got home and said her goodnight since she looked more than exhausted after her long day. August however couldn't sleep just yet, she threw her tarp on the floor then set her canvas down, and opened her paints before she began to paint a flower than she had remembered just today.