It's been so long

You walked down the stairs into your basement, carrying a steaming bowl of stew and a spoon in your hands. Opening the door, you saw Fyodor sitting on his bed, eyes focused on the novel in his hand. On the table beside him were already numerous books stacked up.

You always brought him new ones when you came down here since he asked for it. It made sense that he did want some entertainment while recovering, but he only asked for books. Even as you offered him to bring him a laptop or something else.

You placed the bowl with food on top of the book stack and went to get your doctor coat. When you came back, you noticed that he hadn't touched the bowl yet. 

"Are you not hungry?", you asked while approaching him.

He looked at you from the corner of his eye and smiled slightly.

"Ah, I must apologise, I didn't notice you entering."

You just smiled, shking your head lightly.

"No, no, it's alright. 'Journey to the Center of the earth' is in deed a captivating piece of literature. However, are you hungry now or not?"

"Oh right. I'll eat it later don't worry."

He gave you a reassuring smile. You just nodded, starting to change the bandages around his torso. He stayed still, reading the novel. Even though it was written in german, he seemed to have no problem reading it.

"Can you understand everything?"

He nodded. "I can speak some german and since I already read the novel several times, I know about what's happening."

"Oh so you kind of guess what some words mean?"

"You could say that. Now, how's my recovery process going?"

You finished wrapping up his body.

"It's going really well. You might be able to stand and walk today. What do you say? Do you feel ready enough?"

He shrugged. "Sure, I feel well enough already."

"Very well. But first, you have to eat your stew before it gets cold", you smirk.

Chuckling, he put his book away and reached for the bowl.

Suddenly someone bursted into the room, making both Fyodor and you flinch. You turned around to see the source of the noise.

"YOU'RE FINNALY GETTING OUT OF BED?", Nikolai shouted with an excited expression and slightly sparkling eyes.

"My god, Nikolai. Don't just burst into rooms unannounced!", you scowl the white haired man.

He raised his hands in front of him in defeat.

"I'm sorry, birdie. I just got excited when I heard that Dos-kun is getting better."

You heard a chuckle behind you and then the russian accent of your patient.

"I appreciate your worry about my health, Kolya. However, don't you think it's rude to eavesdrop on a patient talking to his doctor?"

Nikolai just smile innocently at you two.

"I wasn't eavesdropping. I just went by and accidently heard your talk."

You turn your head around to look at Fyodor who had a knowing and amused glint in his dark purple eyes. Shooting him a similar look, you turned around again, crossing your arms.

"And why were you wandering around in my basement, Niko?"

Nikolai's eyes brightened at the nickname.

"Ah, excellent quiz question! But can you answer it yourself? Come on, why do you think I was strolling around your basement?"

You smirked at him.

"Eavesdropping", you stated, having a slightly smug look on your face.

Nikolai sighed, letting his head fall in defeat, still smiling however.

"Clever as always, birdie. Fine, you got me. Maybe I was eavesdropping."

He quickly rose his head up again, letting a grin sneak on his face.

"Now, when can Dos-kun start to walk again?"

"When he ate up his stew."

The white haired male immeditaly walked past you, approaching Fyodor's bed.

"Come on, Dos-kun! Eat faster! You got that!"

You just sighed, grabbing Nikolai by the collar and dragging him out of the room.

You watched Fyodor sitting at the edge of his bed with his bare feet on the floor while Nikolai and you were on both of his sides, ready to catch him in case he falls.

The black haired man slowly pressed himself up with his one hand on the matress. Carefully he stood up, his legs shaking slightly. He grabbed Nikolai's arm for support, trying to get a stable stand.

As soon as his legs stopped shaking, he took a step forward. Then another and another. After a while he let go of Nikolai's arm, walking on his own. He had a concentrated expression on his face the whole time, which didn't change even when Nikolai cheered at him.

"You're doing great Dos-kun, you got that!"

You just rolled your eyes at the childish behaviour of the man, following Fyodor as he slowly made his way to the door.

Soon he reached the stairs out of the basement. He hesitated for a moment before he took the first step. Nikolai and you were at his side the whole time, supporting him if necessary.

Your patient slowly walked up the stairs, taking step after step, always careful not to trip over.

It took some time, but eventually you reached the end of the stairs, entering the living room. You led him to the couch, telling him that it was enough for today and that he should rest for awhile.

Fyodor sat down on the couch, Nikolai taking a seat beside him while you went to the kitchen, starting to make some tea for the three of you. It was pretty late and you just noticed right now how tired and exhausted you actually were. You had several other patients beside Fyodor today, which really gnawed on your energy since you also had to deal with Nikolai on top.

You finished making tea and brought it to the living room. You placed it on the palor table and sat down between the two men. You handed Fyodor a cup while Nikolai took one of his own. It's been so long since you last sat with somene like this, peaceful and quiet, drinking tea.

You all drank your tea in silence, what made you only more tired. The more time went by, the harder it got for you to hold your eyes open. Just as you placed your empty tea cup back on the palor table, you gave in and closed your eyes.

Drifting off, you didn't realise how you fall to the side, leaning onto Fyodor.

____________________________________________________________

Pinterest Link: https://pin.it/5nqsPod