I'm Sorry...

Justin's POV

After I ate, Cheyanne and I got ready to go for our walk. We tried calling Raymon using our home phone, but he wouldn't answer. "Probably still sleeping," I had said to Cheyanne. Peeking out the window, the sky was grey once again, except a lighter grey compared to last night, and it was windy. No snow yet; but I'm sure there will be. We both grabbed a hoodie, put it on, and went out the door.

"So, are we just gonna ask around? Try to find any information?" I asked Cheyanne once we were out.

"I guess," she replied, a little uneasy at the thought. "If...you would wanna ask."

I got a little irritated. "But you're the one who suggested it." I would've asked people anyway because I do want to know what happened to my parents, but I also wanna know why Cheyanne just asked that.

"I know! But, I just feel really uncomfortable talking to random strangers off of the streets," Cheyanne replied.

"Paranoid that something would happen?"

"No! I-"

"You're shy."

"Getting closer.." Cheyanne's voice faltered with every spoken sentence.

I stayed silent for a moment, then decided to say, in the form of a question, "Social anxiety?"

She nodded slowly. "Oh, Cheyanne..." I murmured and stopped walking. "It'll be okay."

"No, it won't!" She cried. "Honestly, when I was ordering that bracelet for you-" I looked at the bracelet she gave me yesterday, which was on my wrist. "it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. But I did it for you since it was your birthday and all.."

"How can I move on in this world, and get a job, when I'm too scared to talk to anyone?"

"Of course, it's a different story with you guys," she continued before I could say anything. "I've known you and Ellie my whole life. Raymon...it was hard to talk to him at first, but I forced myself to do it. You all are my best friends!"

"Oh, why didn't you tell us before?" I asked, taking her hand. "We could have been helping you."

"I've been insecure about it ever since I was diagnosed..." she murmured. "I-I don't know why I just admitted it to you."

"Maybe because even you knew it was time to tell someone about it." I pulled her into a hug. "We can help you get over it," I murmured. "And that can start now."

Cheyanne has hugged me back, and now I let go of her. "Thank you," she said. "But right now, we need to go find something out about your parents."

I nodded, and we continued walking in the same direction. Once we reached the same park we were at four weeks before, I said, "If we're looking for people, we need to go to Main Street."

"Probably," Cheyanne agreed.

With that, we changed direction and made our way to the busiest street in the city, Main Street.

Once the street was in view, I noticed something immediately wrong. "Where is everybody?"

"Huh?" Cheyanne said.

"Look. There's no one driving on Main Street."

Cheyanne paused to observe. "You're right," she said soon afterward. "That's really odd, especially when it's close to 8 AM. Shouldn't it be one huge traffic jam, with people going to work?"

"It usually is," I replied. "Come on, let's get closer."

But as we got closer, I noticed something even odder. "There's police tape at the end of this street."