I Hear Florida Is Nice This Time Of Year

I climb out my car, switching the engine off. The diner I told Klaus to meet me at, is almost the exact opposite of what I had made it out to be. The picture on the website, made it out to be a classic 50's themed diner, always buzzing with local chat. Now I realise that the picture must have been from 50's and the place is dead. The paint is peeling off the outside walls and some of the letters in the sign reading 'Ray's Place' that is lit above it are out so it now reads, 'Y's Plac' I shake my head and head inside, Klaus won't be far behind me and he thinks I have been here since I phoned him almost 5 hours ago.

I shove the doors open, perhaps a little too forcefully and head to a booth in the corner. There is a group of teenagers in the corner of the diner all-talking loudly and eating fries. I've barely sat down before the doors swing open again and Klaus strides confidently into the room holding his head high as his eyes sweep the room in minor disgust. He sits opposite me and looks at me questioningly without saying a word.

"Brother"

He just grins at me, but I can feel the curiosity behind his smile. He isn't going to buy any story I give him, he must now that I was lying about being here. I'll need to be careful about the Elena situation now, Klaus has always been very suspicious of all of us, even before we turned.

"Are you going to tell me what is wrong with you or are we going to sit here and stare at each other?" his tone is filled with sarcasm.

"Staring sounds good to me," I reply hoping he understands that he isn't to ask anything. He looks at me curiously but stands up and extends his hand to me.

"Come on, we have to go to Mystic Falls, I could use you're assistance. I've heard word about a young doppelganger, similar to Miss Katerina Petrova" He grins widely at me anticipating my reaction. I bite my lip unsure of how to act about this. A part of me wants to come clean and tell him that I know about Elena. If I lied and he found out, he would kill everyone in Mystic Falls I had ever even met, just so the guilt of their deaths was in my hands. That included Damon. Telling him could mean the same, Stefan and Caroline would protect Elena their deaths and Damon would stand by his brother. Klaus would kill them all then kill Elena for his curse. I want to protect Elena as well and no matter what he says or does, I will protect Damon for as long as I live. I have to risk him finding out I lied to him, or sentence them all to death. Which leaves me with only one choice; I have to lie to my brother. It should be easy given the amount of times he has lied to me, but the fear of him hurting the ones I love is still there. He would not try to hurt me, I could take him easily, but he's distracted me before so he could kill those I was close to, centuries before I even knew Damon.

"Klaus, don't you think if I had seen Katerina I would have done something? I've been in Mystic Falls for days, your doppelganger isn't there" I sigh in an attempt to make it seem more realistic.

"I trust my sources Caitlin, and my sources tell me there is a doppelganger in Mystic Falls" He has a determined glint in his eye and I know no matter what it takes, Klaus will end up in Mystic Falls at some point.

"Fine. Maybe there is, but I've just left Mystic Falls, let's go somewhere else, the doppelganger will still be there when you get back" He opens his mouth to argue but I cut him off quickly "Klaus please, you still need the moonstone and all your other ingredients, and there isn't a full moon for another week, let's go somewhere else just for a few days and have some bonding time together, then I'll leave you to chase your doppelgangers as much as you want" I look at him with a pleading expression. He stares hard at me for a few seconds and I try to keep a steady face.

Suddenly he stands and I feel my breathing spike in panic, but he grins and holds his hand out to me.

"I hear Florida is lovely this time of year" My face breaks out in a smile and I grab his hand and walk out of the dilapidated diner to my brother's car.

Klaus drove us to the airport, and bought tickets to Miami airport.

I sit on an uncomfortable seat texting Elena. The conversation started by me telling her about what I was doing with Klaus but now we're making plans for a night out with Caroline. Elena and I have become good friends in such a short space of time. After what has seemed like an age of talking to the woman at a desk Klaus comes back with a small smile on his face and waves at me with tickets. I smile and as we are walking towards the gate, he puts his arm around my shoulders and kisses the side of my head. I grin. There is no way I could deny it – I've missed my brother a lot.

The plane ride wasn't very long, but in the short space of time, we managed to talk over some of our more recent fights and we seem to have regained some of our old, human relationship.

Our arrival in Florida only resulted in my waiting even longer in a hire car for Klaus to find us somewhere to stay, but eventually he returned and we headed towards a large fancy looking hotel. I grin widely as we enter he foyer. I look around at the large room, there is a long desk lining the back wall and the rest of the room is glass allowing you to see the dining room and bar to the right. I see a large flight of stairs and quickly glance around to make sure no one is looking at us. Before he can react, I quickly snatch the door card from Klaus and use my speed to get to the top floor in a matter of seconds. Of course, Klaus chose the penthouse. I fly through the door and throw myself on the large sofa in the middle of the room. I'm lying in a giggling heap when Klaus appears just a few seconds later. He sits on the sofa next to me with my legs in his lap. He stares at me for a minute or two with a small smile on his face and in return I give him a frown. "what?" I ask cautiously.

"I'm glad we're together again, sister" He replies quietly. I smile and he quickly rises to his feet. "It's late, your room is through there, Good night" He points to my room and then quickly disappears through a door opposite. Running away the second he shows any kind of emotion, something else I should remember to expect of Klaus. He has been sweet and kind all day, it was long due for him to make a speedy exit. I give a small sigh before retreating to my room.