It Had To Happen Eventually

Cat’s P.O.V

Elena continues to babble about her fight with Stefan, and how they worked through it. Her words don’t provide me with any comfort and in fact make me feel worse. Stefan could compromise. Stefan could deal with emotions. Damon couldn’t. Hell I couldn’t, it’s why Damon and I got on so well. After knowing him for so long, after always believing that I could never get to know him better, it’s been changed and it unnerves me. I told Damon that he couldn’t have changed so much that I would stop loving him and I meant it, but the way he is acting I don’t think I have a choice but to stop. Believing he was dead was the hardest thing I’ve had to do, but he died loving me, or so I thought. The idea of him being so close yet not wanting to be near me fills me with a cold, harsh emptiness beyond tears.

“Cat? Cat!” I snap out of the daze I was in and look at Elena.

“What?” I sigh.

“I need back-up” She says and the determined grin on her face fills me with uncertainty.

A couple bad movies later, Elena, Caroline and I are sitting on the sofa wrapped in duvets. Elena and Caroline are sharing tissues to wipe their tears, while I laugh at the ridiculousness of both the movies and their reactions. Between us we’ve had at least 6 tubs of ice cream, countless chocolate bars and a whole load of coffee and bourbon.  Caroline and I had a blood bag each, to which Elena routinely threw disgusted looks our way until the bags were out of sight making me giggle every time she did.

As the third terrible movie was about to come to its predictable happy ending, my phone buzzes. I freeze as soon as I see the name. Taking a deep breath, I accept the incoming call and press the phone to my ear.

“Damon” I say with as much venom in my voice as I can muster. Caroline and Elena’s eyes snap straight to me and Elena reaches forward to mute Leonardo De Caprio’s heartfelt speech.

“We need you to come to the boarding house” He says. His voice is soft and nervous and I have to repress the small smile that threatens to appear on my lips. I’m super mad at him, and I can’t forget it.

“Sorry, no can do” I trill and move to hang up.

“Wait, it’s important otherwise I wouldn’t ask” He almost pleads, its so un-Damon like, I almost agree there and then but a stern look from Caroline makes me hold my tongue.

“What’s so important about it? I have a busy schedule Damon” I say and add an exaggerated sigh onto the end of it for good measure.

“Remember I told you about Mason Lockwood having the moonstone hidden for Katherine? Now I have him and we know where the moonstone is, but he won’t talk I need your help to get him to tell us about Katherine” He says and I hear aloud groan in the background. Damon must have hit him so I knew he wasn’t lying.

“Hmm, well last time I checked you were more than capable of torture Damon, so I’ll leave it to you to get the job done” Again I move to hang up the phone.

“Cat please, if you won’t do it to help me, do it to help Elena. He could know something that could save her life” He says it matter-of-factly and I know he’s right. I sigh frustrated, really disliking the idea of having to spend the rest of the after-noon with working with Damon. If I’m going to get over him, I’m going to need space from him.

“Fine I’ll be there when I can” I say and hang up before he can say anything else. Caroline gives me a sympathetic look and I shrug trying to act naturally.

“It had to happen eventually” She says “Maybe it won’t be so bad” Her own phone gives a short buzz and she glances at the incoming text. “Gotta run Bonnie and Stefan are going to get the moonstone”

“I’ll come” Elena mutters and we all walk out the door and I wave Elena and Caroline off.

I sit in my car, and take a deep breath. I’m fighting with myself to go, I honestly don’t think I can face Damon. A reputation going back centuries, about how ruthless and merciless I am, a heart of stone – and yet here I am, verging on full on freaking out, over having to go and spend the after-noon with one of the Salvatore brothers. Damon and I went from being inseparable, he meant more to me than my own life, beyond a romantic level he was my best-friend. Yet here we are, barely able to have a civil conversation over the phone and dreading having to spend time alone with each other. I feel a tear slide down my cheek and reach up to wipe it away with my sleeve. It’s quickly replaced by another and before I know it my entire body is shaking with sobs.  I clamp my mouth with my hand and desperately try to compose myself, but it won’t work. I bite down on my lip hard and with a shaking hand I reach into my pocket for my phone. I quickly dial the number and put the phone to my ear. I need my brother.

“Cat?” A calm British voice drawls out the phone. I can hear the amusement in my smug brothers voice.

“Klaus I-I need your help” I sob loudly.

“Where are you? What happened? Are you hurt?” His tone dramatically changes to a concerned one.

“I’m in..” I trail off, what I say here is vital “I’m in Charlottesville, in West Virginia. I’m fine, I just needed to talk to my brother” I say.

“Well as luck may have it I’m in Washington DC, I’m heading to a small town near you called Mystic Falls. I’ll get you at Charlottesville and we can have a little holiday together” He says and I can practically hear the genuine small smile that he reserves specially for me.  I miss my brother with all my heart and a holiday with him seems to be exactly what I need, but not here. If he’s headed here, it’s probably for Elena and I can’t let that happen. I won’t let that happen.

“Perfect, but why don’t we holiday somewhere else, I’ve just been to Mystic Falls it’s a bore really” Long shot that will work but I had to try.

“No, I have important business to attend to, but we can go somewhere else after” He stills sounds happy, and I don’t want to ruin it.

“Ok, I’ll see you in a couple of hours? No rush, I have something I have to do first. There’s a diner near where I am, I’ll text you the address and we can meet there this evening” hoping I can find one on google maps quickly.

“I’ll see you soon sister” With that the line goes dead. Now I have to go and get Damon.