Homemade pancakes, with syrup?

Cat pauses and I see her furrow her eyebrows in concentration as she listens for him. Her eyes suddenly dart up to me and she grabs my hand dragging me away from the party and towards the woods. As soon as we are out of sight we run, I follow blindly only going on Cat’s instinct. It’s disorientating as she’s a lot faster than me, so I don’t see things coming until the last second and she dodges out the way quickly, pulling me alone with her. Eventually I begin to hear Stefan for myself; he seems to be with some girl. Wait, I recognise her! It’s that girl Amber; she was supposed to be in the competition earlier.

We stop in the clearing, and I run to Stefan pulling him away from Amber. Cat quickly pulls Amber away from everything as I try to calm Stefan down. I approach him but he throws me back onto a tree and I feel a sharp branch pierce through my back and scrape my heart. Stefan turns back to Amber but before he can move Cat has Stefan pinned to the ground by the throat. I hear her growl quietly at him as she holds him tightly. Stefan struggles for a few minutes before I hear a shout coming from the direction of the house.

“Stefan! Stefan what have you done?” Elena looks at him shocked. Cat releases Stefan and he runs away, he seems to have realised what he actually has done. Bonnie takes Elena’s arm and leads her away, talking quietly to her. I stop listening, the actions over and I struggle to pull away from the tree. Cat rushes over to me and kneels in front of me her eyes filled with worry. 

“Hold still, I’ll get you out of this” She moves to my side and grips the branch “This might hurt” I brace myself as she sharply snaps the branch. I groan loudly as it scrapes against my heart “Okay, this is the last part, and then you will be okay, alright, you’re going to be fine” She trails off; I think she was mostly convincing herself. I tense as she pulls it out then sink into her sighing in relief, as I start to heal. She puts her arm around me and pulls me to my feet. I try to walk, but I’m too weak. I feel a gust of wind and after a few seconds I feel the warmth of the fire in our living room. Sure enough Cat lays me down on our bed and I open my eyes to see her kneeling in front of me and reach out and stroke her face.

“I’m fine Cat, just give me a couple minutes and I’ll be good as new” She smiles at me and the twinkle in her eyes starts butterflies in my stomach. She’s perfect. “Come here” I say giving her a cheeky grin and she lies down next to me kicking her shoes off in the process. They land with a thump and she sits up grinning.

“Your covered in blood, and I’m in a dress” She starts to pull off my jacket and unbutton my shirt and I feel myself gulp. She giggles once she has removed my shirt and trousers, leaving me in just my boxers and I sit up and unzip her dress, kissing her neck at the same time. She pulls my face up to hers and kisses me deeply and passionately, the pain is gone and I feel stronger than I have in years, filled with nothing but a yearning to have her closer to me.

Cat P.O.V

I roll over and look at Damon. He looks so peaceful in his sleep, his usual scowl gone. His eyes flutter open and he gives me a sleepy smile.

“Morning” he mumbles and wraps his arms around me pulling me closer to him. I kiss him lightly on the lips smiling.

“Morning, what’s the plan for today?” I ask him laughing as he starts to drift back off to sleep. I trace his jaw line with my nail and start to kiss his neck. He responds immediately flipping me onto my back and kissing me urgently. I grin, well he’s awake now. I pull back after a minute or two “Plans?” He scowls at me playfully and flops down next to me sighing. His arms wrap around me and he puts his face into my hair.

“Why don’t you lie here and I will make you your old favourite breakfast?” He whispers in my ear. I spin around grinning.

“Homemade pancakes, with syrup?” I say in disbelief. It’s literally my favourite food on the planet.

“Yip” I turn and look at him with a huge grin on my face. He smiles back and kisses me gently before climbing out of bed and pulling on his pyjama bottoms. I curl back up for 5 minutes while he makes them.

The smell fills the room and I open my eyes, to see Damon standing in front of me with a tray filled with food. He hands it to me to hold while he climbs in next to me. He’s brought us a plate full of pancakes each, a cup of coffee and a glass of blood mixed with bourbon. I dig in greedily, loving every mouthful. If I close my eyes, it’s like I’m lying in Chicago.

We practically breathe the food in and lie sipping away. Damon’s phone buzzes and he groans loudly flopping backwards, nearly spilling his coffee everywhere. I laugh at him as he answers it without even bothering to open his eyes.

“Hello?”

“Damon, I need your help. We have to get Stefan back to his usual self. Today”

“I’m kind of busy, why don’t you do that then you can tell me all about it” I giggle at him and smack his head with a pillow he grins and throws it back at me. I mouth ‘help her’ to him and he rolls his eyes at me.

“Please, Damon. I have no idea what I’m doing”

“Okay, you’ve convinced me. Cat and I will meet you at the grill” He looks at me and I smile. We have to help Stefan, I already feel guilty we’ve spent the morning lounging about when he is off the rails. The only plus side is, he still has his humanity. That’s our little ray of hope; if we get the human blood out of his system then it should be easy enough for him to go back to his bunny diet.