Today's the day!

Eventually it’s time to turn in. Stefan drives Elena home, and Damon and I headed upstairs to bed. He seems to get some ideas and starts kissing my neck but I push him off me laughing and settle down to sleep with my head on his chest, he sighs and pouts jokingly which makes me laugh more. Just like old times I fall asleep to the rhythm of his breathing and him stroking my hair.

I groan slightly as the wind keeps blowing in my face. Wait, why is there wind inside? I open one eye and jump backwards falling out the bed, when I see Damon’s crystal blue eyes barely inch from mine. He laughs loudly and I sigh. Too tired to move I wrap the covers around me and try to go back to sleep half on the bed, half on the floor. After a minute of peace, the covers are snatched away from me. I groan loudly again. I turn onto my back, looking at Damon with an unimpressed expression. He’s standing on the bed, the covers tied around his neck, like a cape and hands on his hips looking very proud of himself. I can’t help but giggle. I forgot what a big kid he was.

“Today’s the day, and you slept in!” He shouts. I frown, what’s today? He laughs at my clueless expression. “It’s Miss Mystic Falls competition and you have 2 hours to be at the Lockwood mansion and be ready!” He looks so excited it’s hilarious.

“What time is it?” I ask sleepily and he does a mini superman jump off the bed and darts across the room to the wall where our phones are charging next to each other. He shows me his. It’s 12. I groan knowing that lame competition or not I have to get up. I sigh.

“I need caffeine and stronger than just coffee, if we stop by a corner shop so I can get a can of Rock star, I’ll come without complaining” I promise jokingly.

“That’s the spirit, I’ve been up for ages, your dress and shoes and everything is already in the car waiting for you” He gives me a smile and I sit up with a grin. He jumps down and kisses me softly. I giggle and stand. We dress quickly. I just throw on a pair of jeans and a strapless skin tight tan coloured top with a blazer. I match it with my tan coloured heels and turn to Damon. He’s dressed in the usual black shirt and jeans.

“I’ll change into a suit there as well” He says and we leave arm in arm.

I’m pacing in front of the mirror. I look ridiculous. This dress is far too glitzy for me. Elena’s aunt did my hair. It’s curled slightly and pulled to one side. She done my make-up very simple, you wouldn’t notice it at a glance, but it tones done the intensity of my freckles and makes my eyes looks wider. She done a good job, but this isn’t me at all. This is for the town’s prettiest girls not me. I hear the door open and see Elena come in. She stops when she sees me and stares. I knew it I look like an idiot.

“Oh my God, I can’t do this” I say and go to walk past her out the door. She grabs my arm to stop me. I turn immediately my first instinct is that she’s a threat but I push it away. To many years avoiding people have taking their toll, if a simple human girl can make me jump. I push these thoughts away as Elena speaks.

“You look amazing Cat!” She says she looks like she’s in shock.

I frown, she can’t serious.

“Don’t be ridiculous Elena, I’m pulling out I can’t do this” I try to walk away again, but she doesn’t loosen her grip and I don’t want to use my strength against her.

“You shouldn’t! Seriously you look fantastic and Damon seems super excited to show you off to everyone” She looks at me. She’s a quick learner knowing that mentioning Damon would make me sway “Come on, what difference does it make, no one knows you, but everyone knows the whole thing is fixed so only founding family’s win. So they wouldn’t think anything if you didn’t win” Okay so maybe she doesn’t quite get me yet.

“I don’t care about winning Elena. I just don’t feel like making an idiot of myself in front of everyone” She looks at me like I’m an idiot.

“You’re an original vampire; I don’t think it’s possible for you to look like an idiot. Look just hold your head up high go out there and dance and then it’s over, you’ve done all you have to do” She looks at me “Come on your supposed to be fearless” I laugh at her and take a deep breath.

“Fine. I’ll do it. Okay?”

“Okay” She grins and I leave her to get changed.

All too soon I’m standing at the top of the stairs, waiting for my name to be called. I’ll be last, because I was last to be put forward. I glance downstairs as Elena begins to descend, but Stefan isn’t there. I frown and look harder but he really isn’t there. I find myself panicking for her, when Tyler Lockwood steps forward. I sigh in relief and she looks up to me and grins shyly. I laugh it must be really awkward down there. I gulp as Carol Lockwood, Tyler’s mother, calls my name and I descend slowly down the stairs. I grin and giggle slightly as Damon’s mouth literally drops open when he sees me. He seems completely in awe. I give him a small smile and take his arm as I reach the bottom. He manages to regain his composure but I catch him looking at me with the same expression as we walk to the dance floor. I notice a lot of other people are looking at me similarly to. My hair must be messed up or something for them all to be staring at me like this. I push the thought away and concentrate on not falling over in these shoes. Damon looks extremely handsome in his suit and I find my eyes lingering on his body a little too long.

The music starts suddenly. Luckily I know this dance, though it’s slightly different to All I need I learned it in the 1890’s.

“People are staring Damon, I feel awkward I don’t like this one bit.” I moaned. Damon didn’t say anything he just reached down and kissed me. The silence was broken by a few gasps around us, just then the music stopped and there was a loud roar of clapping all around me.