She basically pretends to be Human

Damon's P.O.V

I can hear Cat pacing upstairs. I didn't realise how worked up she was about this. A part of me found it funny, but there was a niggling at the back of my head that was telling me to go and calm her down. It's strange; I haven't ever felt the need to look out for somebody else in a long time. I've helped Elena a few times, but that was mostly for my brother. Now Cat's here and I find myself judging every move I make as to whether it will make her happy.

We move into the foyer, and I stand in line at the foot of the stairs. Carol starts to read of names and one by one the girls start to come down. Elena's name is called and I watch her descend. She looks very pretty, and I look to see Stefan's reaction. He's not there anymore and I frown and look around me. He's no were to be seen, Elena is going to be left on her own. I think about taking Stefan's place, but push the thought away quickly. I would just be leaving Cat in the same position and honestly I would rather Elena had a few moments of embarrassment then Cat have to face a group of strangers on her own when she is supposed to have a date. I couldn't do that to her. I look around desperately trying to find someone to help her out, when Tyler Lockwood jumps in front of me and takes her arm. I feel myself relax again and hear a sigh at the top of the stairs. I grin in anticipation; I'm desperate to see her in that dress. As soon as I saw it in the store I knew she would look great in it. There was a few I was thinking about getting her to wear, but that dress was something else.

"Caitlin Mikaelson" Carol says her name and I feel butterflies in my stomach. For years, her name only brought me a horrible feeling of dread that consumed me. Words can't describe how amazing it is to have her in my arms again. To know that she never left me intentionally and to know that her promise of forever still stands is enough to have a foolish grin cross my face. I see her foot appear first and then the rest of her comes in to view. I feel my jaw drop as I stare at her. I've never seen anybody look so beautiful in my life. She should be in a museum, on the front cover of a magazine, starring in a movie. Someone THAT beautiful shouldn't be in some lame competition in Mystic Falls. Her face breaks into a grin, when she sees me. She looks around the room and I catch her momentarily bite her lip. If there's one thing Cat has never liked, its attention. I bear this in mind and force myself to look natural, but as I take her arm and lead her outside towards the dance floor I can't help but look at her in disbelief. What she sees in me I will never know. The music starts quite suddenly and we begin the dance. It's an old one, though the different music changes the time slightly. She looks around her and I can see her growing more and more uncomfortable as the seconds tick by.

"People are staring Damon, I feel awkward I don't like this one bit" She bites her lip and looks at me. In the moment the only thing I can think about is her lips. I grin at her and lean down and kiss her. She seems shocked for a millisecond, but quickly pushes in. I completely forget about the crowd around us and pull her in closer still. The music fades out and I use every ounce of self-control I have and pull away. She grins at me as the crowd roars with applause. I laugh as she immediately grimaces. Caroline comes over to congratulate us and I'm very pleased I've managed to show everybody what a beautiful person Cat is, and just how much I really do love her. I lead her over to drinks table. "You look amazing, I think we made quite the Impression" I grin at her evilly and a small smile appears on her own face. Out of the corner of my eye I see Elena and Tyler approach and I groan in my head. I was hoping this could be a day for just Cat and I, since I had planned on waking her up to pancakes and syrup her old favourite then on taking her a walk through the town to show her around yesterday. I even made reservations at the grill for dinner, but Elijah turned up and put a downer on my plans, and the shopping trip seemed to really wipe out Cat, though I think the vervan also played a part in that. I'm planning on doing everything I had planned tomorrow. I'm positive she will love it.

"You two did great" Cat says and hugs Elena. The two of them have hit off really well, its good thing to. Cat was never one to hold back if she felt you should shut up, leave or disagreed with you. She always says it like it is. It's one of the reasons I love her so much. I could trust her with anything, including telling me how she feels.

"So did you two!" Elena replies grinning widely "I think you might actually win this" I can tell Cat is trying to mask her expression but I can see how horrified she is at the idea of her winning this. I chuckle and lean down to kiss her on the cheek.

"Well, she's already won in my opinion" I say, and it's true. I honestly can't figure out how anybody else could win over her. She was completely out of this world beautiful, she knew the dance, what else did they want? The kiss could go either way, but I can't say I'm sorry I did it. I can feel Cat grin, and Elena's 'aww' wasn't very subtle. I turn to Tyler suddenly remembering why he was here. "Where's Stefan?" I ask Elena, praying that she at least paid half attention to where he was.

"I don't know he just disappeared. I was hoping you could tell me" The worry is obvious in her voice. I sigh loudly, trust my brother. I hope he hasn't caused to much trouble, I know he has been struggling recently, but we were so close to getting him back on track. I pull out my phone and call him, and as expected he doesn't answer. I turn quickly when I hear Liz shouting on me.

"Damon, we need your help with something" Her eyes dart between Cat and I. She's obviously trying to figure out whether Cat knows or not. I roll my eyes.

"I'll catch up with you as soon as I'm done I swear" I say to Cat and kiss her quickly on the lips before following Liz.

"Don't worry take your time" She says with a smile. I'm pleased Elena is there to keep her company; it makes this a whole lot easier.

Liz shows me the bathroom. There's a lot of blood and the mirror has been smashed out. There is no doubt in my mind if we follow this trail it will lead to Stefan, but I can't have Liz find him like that. She would kill him on the spot, or try at least. Either way Stefan wouldn't be living in Mystic Falls any more.

"Why don't you let me check this one out" I tell her and she just nods. I rush outside to Cat. I can hear to the edge of the woods if everyone was quiet, but even in this noise she can probably hear twice that distance.

"Hey" I wrap my arms around her from behind and feel her jump slightly at first. I forget she basically pretends she is human, apart from drinking blood. She never liked what she was, and rarely uses her strength, speed or hearing unless it's necessary. I'll need to remember that or else I'll give her a heart attack. "I need your help, Stefan's off the rails; I need you to help me find him"

She turns to me frowning and wraps her arms around my neck "So any idea's where to start?" She answers.