Well You Heard The Lady

I sit back in the sofa in front of the fire. We are back at the boarding house; we decided it would be best for Elena to inject Stefan with the vervan because he won’t be expecting it from her. She’s been up for a while and I’m starting to lose hope in her despite Damon’s constant reassurance when there’s a loud thump from above us. I grin at Damon and in a flash I’m standing in the doorway to Stefan’s room. Damon appears beside me and together we pick Stefan up off the floor and carry him downstairs to the ‘dungeons’. When Damon showed me it I couldn’t help but laugh. It’s something my brother Klaus would have, though I don’t think Damon appreciated me pointing this out.

We lie Stefan down on the cot and lock the door on our way out. Elena stands in the doorway the whole time. Damon and I start to walk down the corridor, but I turn around when I don’t hear Elena moving. She is still standing at the door looking through the bars at Stefan. I sigh and walk over to her.

“Elena?” I say softly. She turns her head slowly not tearing her eyes away from Stefan until the last second.

“I think I’m just going to stay here, you know for when he wakes up” She bites her lip and looks at the floor then back up at me. I smile sympathetically at her.

“I get it, well you might as well get comfy” I tell her as I slide down the wall and put my feet up on the wall opposite. It’s a narrow corridor so I’m surprisingly comfortable sitting like this. Elena looks shocked at first but gives me a small smile back and sits next to my legs on the wall opposite. I hear a sigh beside me and turn to see Damon still standing watching us. I thought he had gone upstairs, but he walks over to us and sits next to me. He puts his arm around my shoulders and I rest my head on him.  Elena smiles at us and we sit in silence for the rest of the night until she falls asleep leaning against my legs, I fall asleep leaning against Damon and poor Damon is left leaning against the wall, though I’m unsure as to whether he’s asleep or not. We must look an odd bunch like this, but we’re supporting each other and not just literally. It is obvious Elena is struggling and I know Damon is to, as much as he tries to hide it and I must admit I don’t particularly like seeing Stefan like this myself. Of course I had heard of his ripper days, I knew him then as well through my siblings, but when Stefan and Damon had met up again a few weeks before Stefan went to the war he had been so nice and we instantly hit off and became close friends, which is why I hadn’t suspected a thing when he came to me supposedly distraught by his brother’s death. I should have known he wasn’t right. He turned his humanity off for a brief period, though I have no idea why, and during that time he went along with Lexi’s ridiculous charade. I was devastated, doing everything I could from flicking the switch; it was stupid of me to let Stefan lead me on. It was straight after that I turned my humanity off. Once I realised what I had done I couldn’t handle it, I felt as though I had betrayed Damon and it pushed me over the edge. Luckily for Stefan, I didn’t know about his humanity switch being off or I would have killed him and not even had to think twice about it. I completely forgive Stefan for it, I know that no one should be held accountable for the things we do in those times. I still struggle with guilt of all the people I killed. I was the good one. The only Mikaelson, that didn’t kill for fun or for hunger or because I had some mad mission to rid the world of vampires like my father. When I killed it was because that person had done something I believed they deserved to die for. Although those reasons stuck with the times, so I guess there are a few you could argue now-a-days, at the time they were inexcusable. The fact that I not only managed to stand alongside my siblings as a pointless murderer, I would go as far as to say I’m worse. I try to deny it but I can’t. The things I’ve done are horrifying, death would be to light a punishment for me. I feel that dull ache in the pit of stomach again. The one I always get when I think of those times. I have to just forget about, focus on doing the right thing now. I can’t change what I’ve done in the past. It’s time to focus on here and now. I have Damon, something I never imagined to get back. I can’t believe and I’ve found myself just looking at him for a few moments, unable to get over the fact that not only is he alive but he is here with me.

After what must be a few hours I hear a loud groan coming from the cell. I sigh and open my eyes slowly. I look up at Damon and he smiles down at me. I don’t think he slept at all by his face. He strokes my face gently and kisses me softly on the lips.

“Morning, beautiful” I frown, morning?

“Is it morning?” He just smiles slightly, “Yip, baby bro slept through the night”

I smile sleepily at him. It feels like I haven’t slept at all. Sighing, I stand up and stretch. Even though, it started out comfortable, that definitely wasn’t a good way to sleep. Elena had the right idea, she’s sprawled out on the floor, and it must be cold but much more comfortable. I put my hand out to Damon and pull him to his feet. He wraps his arms around my waist and hugs me tightly.

“Are you ready to get his over with?” He whispers into my hair. I nod in reply, still half asleep. He unbolts the door and we walk in, I make sure to lock it again after us. Stefan is lying groaning on the bed. He’s still very weak from the vervan and he’s probably starting to feel the effects of hunger. His skin is paper white but with a slightly grey tinge and shiny from the sheen of sweat covering him. I can hear how raspy and staggered his breathing is. I doubt Elena lying asleep barely ten feet away is helping him right now. Damon walks over and sets a bottle of blood next to him. It’s definitely animal; the vile smell is strong from the other side of the room where I stand. Stefan pulls a face and weakly attempts to push it away which causes Damon to sigh.

“No, no, no you need blood, so drink. You can’t handle the human stuff, you never have and you probably never will, so get your butt in action drink up and gain a little self-control” Damon puts it bluntly and I stifle a laugh. The good thing about Stefan being out all night and fighting vervan while he’s at it is that most of the human blood in his system is gone. If he co-operates then he should be out of this dim little cell by the end of the day. Stefan only groans again at Damon.

“Oh come on, give him what an hour? He’ll be begging you for human blood, a little after that he’ll drink that vile stuff whether he wants to or not and after he drinks the brain fuzz’s will be gone i.e. the lack of thirst means he can think straight again, meaning Stefan will be his old self again with his stupid morals and whatnot. Wait a few hours after that and all the human blood will be out of his system meaning the urges will be almost completely diminished and it will be hello old brooding bunny butt Stefan”  I say exasperatedly. Stefan means a lot to me, but I don’t really see the point in wasting the entire day watching him be pointlessly stubborn then inevitably give up anyway “Us being here won’t help any” I say to Damon and he shrugs smiling at me. He slaps Stefan’s shoulder.

“Well you heard the Lady, let’s keep the stubbornness quick eh bro?”

We walk out and I step over Elena. No doubt when she wakes up Stefan will fill her in on what happened. That is if she can stand to see him like that. She seems sweet but you can’t help but feel that she would be knocked off her feet if the wind blew the wrong way. The brothers must have had their hands full trying to keep her safe. I guess my being here might be better off for everyone. The very word ‘original’ can make even the bravest vampire quake with fear. The only people stupid enough to challenge me are my own siblings, and even they have never been very sure of me. Not since the night we were turned. I stood up to my father, as soon as he started to force my siblings to feed off the village people I refused it, fought him. I couldn’t kill him, he was my father, but I knocked him out long enough to flee. Unfortunately my brothers and Rebekah where still led by their fantasy of ‘forever’.  Being related to someone by blood or marriage does not make them family, it is a mere relation. Family are the people who stand by you, who accept your past, understand your present and believe in your future. My father was none of those things and you get what you reap.