Long time no see

He grins in answer and walks closer. He stops in front of me, and I stand. His face is blank and un-readable.

“Cat?” He swallows and looks at me hard, his eyebrows staring to knit together.

“Of course?” I answer laughingly, but I’m struggling to breath normally.

He smiles broadly, and I feel like we are back in 1942.  I laugh and giggle as he wraps his arms tightly around my waist and starts spinning me around. He stops and I crush my lips against his unable to contain myself any longer. He moves a hand to my hair and deepens the kiss. I pull him in closer and we forget where we are. His lips trail down my neck to my collar bone.

“I thought you were dead” I whisper.

“Why on earth would you think that” He pulls away, and offers a bar stool to me. The bar tender brings us over our drinks. He looks confused, his eyes switching between the two of us.

“I – ” I start, but realise the bar tender is listening to us “I think we should take this conversation somewhere else”

Damon’s eyes swivel to the bar tender.  “I live not far from here, we can go there”

He throws twenty dollars on to the bar top and offers me his arm. I take it smiling and we leave. He leads me to a car parked right in front of the door.  

“I’m parked over there” I point to my car almost completely hidden in the shadows. Damon just nods.

“Follow me then” He grins and kisses me gently on the forehead. Smiling, I run to my car. It takes me about a second to cross the lot and I hear Damon laughing at me from in his car. I turn on the engine and rev loudly. I can practically hear him grinning, as he pulls away. I follow, he wasn’t kidding when he said not far. We drive down a short road, pull off at another road almost completely hidden by the shrubs growing around and we’re there. The house is huge, very old and just like the grill mostly wood. I love the old rustic feel to the place and run up behind Damon. I move in flash and he jumps when he turns around.

“Well come on then, I hope you still like bourbon, cause it’s that or water” He glances at me sideways, smirking. His smile melts me on the inside. It’s perfect with just the corner pulling up. I don’t let it show though; I would never live it down. I laugh at him.

“Bourbons fine by me” He holds the door open for me, but I walk straight into what feels like a large glass plate “This is a humans house?” I ask in disbelief, I would never have thought Damon would camp out in a human’s house. He was always more into compelling hotel owners into free accommodation.

“Well, technically no, it’s my family’s boarding house, but a friend of ours is human and we gave it to her to stop unwanted company barging in. She doesn’t live here” He looks around and I can tell there is more to the story, but the first problem is how do we get in the house.

“Hmm, that could be a problem” I can’t help but laugh at the ridiculousness of the whole situation “I’m guessing your friend isn’t in at the moment?”

“Nope” He laughs to “Give me a second” He disappears in a flash. I step back from the door and sit on the wall opposite.  I turn and lean against the large wooden pillar supporting the large porch. He appears back with two glasses, a bottle of bourbon and two bags of blood.

“A positive or O negative?” He smirks placing the two glasses and bourbon on the wall and sitting opposite me.

“Surprise me” I smile, biting my lip. He chucks me a bag and without having to think about it I rip the top off and take a sip. I feel an instant relief in my body, and the burning ache in my stomach weakens. I look back up at Damon, he’s frowning at me.

“When was the last time you had blood?” He asks. I look down and realised I’ve drained the bag completely. I look sheepish.

“It’s been a couple days” I admit, knowing that lying was pointless as Damon could always see right through me.

“Here” He tosses me his untouched bag, ignoring my protests against “Why haven’t you eaten?” He looks at me as though I’m insane.

“Only two hospitals between North Carolina and here, couldn’t get the first, they keep their blood in fridges right in front of the ward desks. I stayed for hours on every ward and they never left them unattended no matter what I did to divert them and they were all on vervan so I couldn’t compel them. By that point I was starving, and when I got to the second hospital there had been a bus crash, lots of casualties, lots of blood, couldn’t set foot in the place without having to fight with myself not to kill someone. I left as soon as I could. After that the only other option was to just keep driving till I got here, I knew that the people here weren’t on vervan. Mystic Falls is known as Vampire haven, only second to New Orleans and alongside New York” I finish the second bag and place the two bags on top of each other neatly.

“You want another?” He offers but I shake my head, knowing better than to stuff myself. Instead he hands me a glass of bourbon which I accept with a grin “Why didn’t you just do the old bite and forget, it was you who taught me that” he says with an evil smirk.

 “It’s bite, HEAL, forget” I reply laughing.

“Minor Detail” He waves his hand, which makes me laugh more “That still doesn’t explain why you didn’t drink from the vein?”

“I’ve been trying not to drink from the vein recently. Respect the human life and all” I grimace and he laughs and tops up my glass with more bourbon.

“So you said you thought I was dead? Why would you ever think that?” He looks upset. I drain the glass and set it down on the wall.