Fight For Your Girl Before You Lose Her

Damon’s P.O.V

I watch as Cat walks out the door. Every word she says seems to add more weight to my stomach. It feels like I’m carrying a ton on each shoulder. After everything we have been through together the thought of being apart seems surreal. But we are. There is no more Cat and Damon. Damon and Cat. Just Cat. Just Damon.

I walk to the liquor cabinet and grab a bottle of bourbon before retreating to my room away from Stefan and Elena’s prying eyes. I can see they are desperate to talk about it. Well, they can do that when I’m not there. I collapse back on the bed and take a swig of bourbon. The door slams shut and it becomes deathly silent as Stefan and Elena have left. I turn my head to the side and bury my head in Cat’s pillow breathing in her scent. I let out a sigh before shutting my eyes and letting myself drift off to sleep, already missing the warmth of having her beside me.

I groan as my eyes flicker open. Yesterday’s events pass through my mind and I consider just staying in bed all day. I listen hard, Cat hasn’t come home. Its 7.30am and she hasn’t come back. I sit up and throw on some clothes, without bothering to look at what it is I’m wearing. Reluctantly I trudge down the stairs and straight out the door. Stefan didn’t come back either. He must have stayed at Elena’s last night. I know we aren’t speaking but I can’t help but wonder where Cat stayed the night. We have an original problem to solve first. I drive straight to Elena’s speeding the whole way and not really caring. I park outside and walk straight in the front door. No one’s awake yet, thankfully. I walk up the stairs dragging my feet on every step. Forcefully, I shove Elena’s door open and Stefan shoots up immediately concerned and protective over his girl. Elena sits up sleepily and cuddles into Stefan. I take a deep breath before speaking.

“Uh uh, wakey wakey Elena, we have to speak to Elijah today, about killing a certain original” I struggle to make my voice sound as it usually does, but I worry I’m not convincing them I’m fine. Maybe I should just turn it off. Any thoughts like this I have to push away. No matter how she feels towards me, I have to protect Cat. Having her brothers floating around town could be dangerous for her and I won’t let her get hurt, even if it kills me. Even if, a thousand years from now, we still aren’t talking, her happiness and safety will always be my priority.

“Damon, give us 10 minutes to get ready” Stefan looks annoyed and I sigh as I stand and leave again “Damon I would just go home becau-”

I cut Stefan off irritably “And let you and Elena take another hour to get ready? I don’t think so, chop chop” I hear Stefan mutter something to Elena, but he’s too quiet for me to make it out. There’s a buzz in my pocket and I pull my phone out. Without taking my eyes off the screen, I shove open Elena’s living room door open and kick it shut behind me. I look up at the sound of light snoring, expecting to see Ric, Jenna or Jeremy. I stop dead when I see Cat lying on the sofa. She’s still sleeping; she looks restless though, with dark circles under her eyes and a small frown on her face. I stand looking at her. As much as I hate it I feel myself feel much lighter now I know she is safe. I walk over to her and stroke her face gently. She stirs and I flash across the room and sit on the sofa staring at my phones black screen. She doesn’t wake though, but starts tossing violently in her sleep. Her breathing starts and I look into her thoughts, worried about her.

I turn, we are in the Boarding House. I see Cat standing on one side of the room, she’s struggling to get out of a Elijah’s arms as he holds her back. Her cheeks are wet from tears and she throws herself violently around trying to escape his clutches. Automatically I run to help her, but this is her dream and I’m not strong enough to change it for her. Her sights are fixed across the room and I turn to see myself, barely conscious tied to a chair with another man, with vivid green eyes, short hair and an evil smirk on his face stand in front of me. He looks at Cat for a second, looking pleased with himself before plunging his hand into my chest and ripping my heart out. Cat screams, it’s a long agonizing scream that makes my blood churn and hair stand on end. She falls to the floor and the man who killed me walks over to her, my heart still in his hand. He crouches down in front of her and roughly takes her face in his hands forcing Cat to look him in the eye.