18• Breeze that whispers

~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~

A knock came at his door, a knock he had been waiting for all morning.

"It's open" Zaeem said in a high pitched voice so the person at the door could hear. "Assalamu Alaikum, good morning" Nahla greeted walking into the room. She stood a few feet away from the bed maintaining a reasonable distance between them.

"Good morning Shehnaaz" Zaeem replied. "You like saying the name" Nahla said. "Shouldn't I?" Zaeem asked. "The choice is yours" Nahla smiled.

"I'm going to school today and I was wondering if we could go shop after I come back?" Nahla asked unsure if he would agree to it. But he knew he needed some things, clothes even. He had been wearing two sets of clothing ever since his accident and it was getting rather uncomfortable.

"And what time will you return?" Zaeem asked back. "After Zuhr prayer or maybe later than that. Just get ready and we'll go immediately after Asr" Nahla replied being calculative about her lecture hours.

"You get impulsive when you're reasoning" Zaeem pointed out. "Dude that's not fair" Nahla said. "Oh no!" She started almost immediately as shock became quite visible in her eyes.

"What?" Zaeem asked. "Seriously what Shehnaaz? You're scaring me!" Zaeem asked again.

"I've never said that word before and it is shocking" Nahla said turning to look at him, the shock never flickering from her eyes. "What word?" Zaeem wondered. "The 'd' word" Nahla replied and Zaeem chuckled. "Dude?"

"Yes that!" Nahla assured and he chuckled again. "There's a first time for everything" Zaeem shrugged.

"You don't understand. I'm never one to speak like that, especially not to the opposite gender. What changed?" Nahla asked again. "Maybe it's a certain someone you met, I believe your life is never going to be the same again even if I die today" Zaeem shrugged.

"Subhanallah!!! No one is dying bi'izni Rabbiy" Nahla whispered, Zaeem heard her though. "Don't say something like that ever again, please" Nahla requested and Zaeem remained silent.

"I'm not leaving if you don't reply" Nahla voiced, she thought she could be just as stubborn.

"Okay I won't! Now go so you won't be late, safe journey" Zaeem voiced. "Thank you" Nahla smiled. She adjusted her rolled veil before walking out of the room.

The two were liking how they're becoming friends, they could really use each other on many circumstances.

Nahla walked out of the house and found Aalim waiting for her just like any other day. They exchanged greetings before he drove them to the University.

Nahla found Lina already in class when she entered and because there was more time before a lecturer steps in, she decided to sit with her.

"Lina thank Bahir again for me" Nahla suddenly said during their conversation. Lina knew Nahla was appreciative of the favour Bahir did to her but she had no idea it was to that extent.

"Girl you said that like a hundred times before, I'm sure he knows you appreciate his help" Lina said. "But still, that way he wouldn't hesitate to help me if I'm in need of any help again"

"Oh! What a sweetheart, but I do hope nothing of such happens ever again. Pain came before relief" Lina prayed. "I do too"

"Oma isn't coming?" Nahla asked. "How would I know? You know she has not looked for any of us ever since our fight, I doubt she still cares" Lina replied. "But that shouldn't stop her from coming to school. She fought with us, not school and exams is starting soon" Nahla reasoned.