3• Ricocheted scalpel

~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~

He wrote down few things in his medical journal as he stood by the side of the patient's bed then checked the little boy's eyes and mouth.

Zaeem was doing his daily round at the children ward and that boy was his last patient to check for the day.

"He just vomited and fainted?" Zaeem asked the parents observing the condition of the boy once more

"He just vomited and fainted?" Zaeem asked the parents observing the condition of the boy once more. He was brought in just before Zaeem could complete his rounds. "Yes" the patient's mother replied.

"And he didn't eat, lick or drink anything out of the normal?" Zaeem asked again because his diagnosis was pointing towards poisoning.

"I did saw him putting a metal in his mouth this morning but he stopped after I scolded him for it" The mother replied and Zaeem sighed at that, it was lead poisoning indeed.

"He is anemic with malnutrition but he consumed lead, his red blood cells mistook the lead as nutrients and absorbed it. The level of the lead went up so suddenly that it ran an acute course thereby causing him to faint" Zaeem explained specifically to the father because he had a feeling the mother wouldn't understand anything he said.

She looked like women who have little to no education or knowledge about medical conditions. And they looked like a family struggling to survive the expensive life of Abuja.

"Will it be a problem?" The father asked with worry. "Not a big one though, we will see what we can do" Zaeem said assuring the parents. "Detox him first, give high doses of vitamin C and EDTA and observe him from time to time" Zaeem ordered the nurse he was with as he wrote down the prescriptions.

"Also give him this" Zaeem added giving the prescription paper to the nurse. "Okay sir" The nurse replied while Zaeem excused himself back to his office.

Zaeem was that type of unique person who made his own life with his rules

Zaeem was that type of unique person who made his own life with his rules. People were led by the path they took while he carved a path of his own stumbling and rising with very little support. He made sure to stick with his rules and live as free as the wind.