Chapter 23 - A Caring Professor

I woke up with a nasty headache in a bed that was neither mine nor Snape's. Dazed I looked around and figured I was in the hospital wing. The candles were burning and outside it was dark already. It must have been a couple of hours then since my last woken moments.

    I was dizzy and as I touched my head, I felt a bandage around it. What had happened? I tried to sit up.
    "Stay down.", I heard him say firmly yet softly.
    Only now I saw him sitting in a chair next to my bed.
    "What happened?", I asked him, rubbing my throbbing forehead. "A stray bludger", he explained shortly standing up.
    He lit up the tip of his wand and held it in front of my eyes. "Follow it."
    He waved it slowly from side to side and up and down. He put the wand away then put his hand on my forehead. After a quick sight, he grabbed underneath the head side of my bedframe and pulled it upwards, so now I was in a more upright position.
    "What are you doing here?", I asked him confused.
    He looked at me surprised and said: "Just checking on my injured student...s."
    He turned his head with a disdainful look towards a bed on the other side of the room. One of our house Chasers, Kevin Leroy, was lying in there, holding his bandaged arm and whimpering.
    "Listen", I started.
        Snape took something out of his pocket and tossed it towards me. It landed on my bed. It was a small chocolate bar.
    "Eat", he ordered me.
        I looked at him baffled.
    "Your friend Miss Pietrova told me she was with you all day and apart from one sip of coffee, she hasn't seen you eat all day. Now, eat or I'll make you eat", he threatened.
        I blushed and took the chocolate bar and started nibbling on it.

    "Can I have some chocolate too, Professor?", Leroy stuttered tearfully.
    Snape turned round and hissed at him: "Man up, Leroy! You had dinner and a whole bottle of pain killers."
    He quickly waved his wand at Kevin who immediately sunk into his bed, snoring.
        Now that all potential witnesses were put to sleep, Snape sat down on my bed and watched me finish my chocolate. It filled me with a soothing warmth.
    "Listen", I repeated. "About this morning. I am deeply sorry for what I said. For how I said it. I was in a terrible mood, and I falsely blamed it all on you."
    Snape brushed a strand of hair out of my face and placed his forehead on mine. "You had me worried deeply for you and ruined my well-deserved victory over the Gryffindors. Better be sorry for that, Nasty Flower."

    We stayed like this for a couple of seconds his hair was softly brushing my cheekbones, before Snape realized, Madam Pomfrey could come check on her patients any second and therefore, we were still potentially in public. He stood up and straightened my bed again.
    "Take a good night's rest, Miss Yaeger. I'll see you tomorrow in class. And don't forget your detention. Obviously, you will have to catch up the one you missed today."
    "Yes, of course. Good night, Sir. And thanks for checking on... us."
    He turned and walked away, then stopped and added over his shoulders: "A good friend you have there. Loyal. Those are rare. Tell her I said thank you for our chat."
    And he walked off. Before he left the room, I caught him nestling over the sleeve of his left arm again.
What the fuck did they chat about?!
    I wanted to rack my brain about it, but instead I got overwhelmed by an enormous fatigue and dozed off.

—————
Warning:
From now on the chapters will start getting progressively longer 😂