Chapter 26 - Bold Words

Early next morning Valeryia found me, cursing vividly in the bathroom of our common room in front of the mirrors.
"What's the matter, Gwen?", she asked concerned.
"Look at me! Look at my neck!", I semi-yelled, "That man has no self-control!"
Valeryia looked at my neck as I was pointing at it angrily. Her eyes widened in shock, but then as her brain had made the connection, a massive grin followed the initial shock.
"Had a rough night 'duelling', bitch?", she beamed.
"The fuck am I supposed to do now?", I shrieked, while I was looking at my neck that was covered in hickeys and bruises which were suspiciously finger shaped. "I even have bruises on my wrist and thighs!"
"Lucky you", Valeryia muttered enviously. "Maybe I should also try my luck on a teacher... Lupin seems rather decent."
I rose an eyebrow at her.
"Well, obviously not Dumbledore or Flitwick", she shrugged.
"I have a feeling, Dumbledore might be playing for the other team", I laughed. "Now back to my problem: What should I do about those?" I frantically pointed at Snape's artistic decorations on my body. "I can't go eating breakfast, looking like that."
"Don't know... Have you tried 'reparo' yet?"
Valeryia burst out laughing over her own joke. I threw a wet towel at her.
"Relax. It's almost Mid-December. Just wear long sleeves and a scarf. No one will bat an eye."

Ten minutes later we sat at our house table in the Great Hall together with Caitlin, and I was wearing my comfiest, biggest hoodie and a scarf that went up to my chin. It was a Saturday so besides some studying time in the morning, we did not have any school obligations for the day – except of course my last detention, but that was only after dinner time. Therefore, me and my friends were making plans on how to fill the afternoon. As it was a chilly, yet beautiful sunny winter's day, it was clear, we would not spend it inside the whole day. Caitlin came up with the idea of a trip to Hogsmeade, as it was one of our few weekends we were allowed to go. For a quick Christmas' shopping spree, for the holidays were rather close at hand already. Although, I did not need any Christmas' presents this year, as I had already informed my parents, I would stay at Hogwarts during holidays, studying for my N.E.W.T.s and therefore not be around for Christmas. But I was still keen to leave the castle and a quick trip to Honeydukes never hurt nobody.
As all was set, and we had eaten our breakfasts, we left the Great Hall and headed to the Slytherin Common Room to fetch our papers we needed for our morning studies. On our way to the Study Hall, we were still babbling about our upcoming Hogsmeade trip.

"Busy making plans for the weekend?", Snape's voice rose from behind us and the whole group froze. Caitlin even let out a small yelp as she turned to face our head of house.
"Yes, Sir", Valeryia grinned at him, "We'll be visiting Hogsmeade today!"
"After today's studies, of course, Professor", Caitlin mumbled placatingly.
"Well, if you think that's more important than your upcoming N.E.W.T.s", Snape shrugged his shoulders giving us a reproachful look.
"Oh, Professor, don't be so harsh on us. Sometimes you need a little distraction to clear your head", Valeryia beamed, "We promise we'll be good students afterwards again."
Snape gave her an almost bemused look. Caitlin nearly collapsed next to us over Val's relaxed discourse with our Potions Master. Val grabbed her arm before her knees gave in and after saying their goodbyes to him, they headed towards the Study Hall.

"Would you like us to bring you something, while we're there?", I asked him jokingly.
Snape rose his eyebrows and curled his lips.
"Very thoughtful of you, but I am fine. Don't be late for your detention, Yaeger", he said sternly.
"Of course not, Professor!", I promised.
As he walked past me, his eyes flickered through the corridor, checking if there was anybody close by, then he leaned over and whispered: "Actually, while you are at Honeydukes, would you mind checking if they have some of those Holiday Blancmange toffees?"
I looked at him with the widest grin on my face and said: "Certainly, Professor!"
A quick smile brushed over his face, and I felt his finger wash over the sleeve of my hoodie before he marched on through the corridor; his cloak flying as majestically as always behind him.
As much as I thirsted for this man and his menacing, dark and unapproachable nature; during moments like this, my stomach felt as if it was about to throw up myriads of cheesy butterflies.