Chapter 29 - Malfoy Manners

On Friday late afternoon, I found myself packing up my stuff for a quick trip home over the weekend. Over the last couple of days many students had already arrived back in the castle, which made it a rather noisy and annoying place to be by now and studying was getting harder. Therefore, I figured, I could also just leave the castle and head to my parents and take the opportunity to dress nicely. Also, my studies had gone very well the previous days and my mental list of potions I wanted to try out was completed – even the ones I had come up with by myself. I was very much looking forward to showing them to Professor Snape.

Shortly before dinner time, I was ready to go. As it was an extraordinary departure from the school ground, one of my parents had to come get me. Which meant they apparated to Hogsmeade and I met them there.
As I arrived at the Three Broomsticks my father was already there having a butter beer and chatting with the locals. He was rather social.
"Hi Dad, how's it going?", I greeted him.
"Hello Gwendolyn! So happy you could make it! You look a little pale. Do you want a quick dinner before we head home?", my father asked.
"No thank you, I already ate at school", I lied. "I am sorry, you had to come and fetch me. In just a couple of weeks, this won't be necessary anymore."
"You're my daughter. I would come and fetch you anytime", he beamed and hugged me. I rolled my eyes. How cheesy.
"Well then, let's head home, before I order another beer. Mum's already waiting."

Without further delay, he stretched out his hand and I grabbed it. The scenery started shifting and before I knew it, we stood in front of our entrance gate.
"Hi Mum", I announced myself loudly, as I entered the house.
"Hey honey! So happy you're joining us for tomorrow's gathering! Did you have successful study time?"
"Yes, all went well. But I brought a little bit of work with me, so I'll head right downstairs to my room and call it a day if that's alright? Then I can still rework some chapters before bed and also, I am not yet quite sure what to wear, so I'll have to decide on that as well."
"Sure honey, have a good night, we will see you in the morning."
"Good night, Gwen", my father called after me, as I was already heading for my room.

Me not yet knowing what I would wear was a lie. I knew exactly. I had this dress for a couple of months now but never had the chance to wear it. I was so looking forward to it. But the 'reworking some chapters'-part was the truth, so I sat down on my desk and started. After a few hours my eyes started getting heavy and as I was reading, I constantly lost track of what line I had been on, so I figured it would be best to go sleeping. Apart from my desk, there was not too much stuff in my room. Most of its walls were covered in bookshelves and a rather big amount of the old oak wood floor was covered by an old dark green Persian carpet. One wall though was completely occupied by a huge wardrobe, containing all my beloved clothes and shoes. Next to that wardrobe was a narrow door that led to my bathroom. My room was part of the basement, so there weren't any large windows taking up space that could have been used for bookshelves or wardrobes. The walls were painted anthracite and all my furniture was held in a combination of natural oak wood and black veneered wood. Everything metallic in the room was made of brass. I basically lived in a dungeon, even if I wasn't at Hogwarts.
What should I say? I just love the aesthetics.
After a quick shower, I headed to bed and fell asleep instantly.

The next day I woke up rather late. My parents had let me sleep, for they figured I needed it, and the party wouldn't start until late evening. Nonetheless, I figured I would start with all the necessary preparations around earlyish afternoon. Dress to impress – not that I necessarily had to impress anyone on that party, but if you do it, do it right.
I went upstairs to find both my parents in the kitchen, sitting at our kitchen table and reading the Daily Prophet.
"Good morning, honey", my mum beamed at me. "Did you sleep well?"
"Yes, I really missed my bed. After those exhausting two weeks it was a true blessing. How are you two?"
"Fine, fine. Nothing much happened here", my father said without looking up from the newspaper. "Did you hear about it; two aurors and their child went missing over the holidays. Rather curious. The grandmother informed the Ministry after they didn't show up at their Christmas party. I guess the boy should be one of your classmates, Gwen. A Gryffindor, though. The Longbottoms. Do you know them?"
"You mean Neville? Yeah, I know him. Well, I recognize him. Don't really have much to do with him. He's a bit clumsy. But rather talented at Herbology, I think. Maybe he apparated by accident and now his parents went looking for him. Wouldn't be too surprised", I shrugged and poured myself a cup of coffee from the pot that was standing on the stove.
"Possible. But then again, why wouldn't they let the grandma know?", my mother mumbled over her newspaper and then pointed her wand towards the kitchen. "There's still some scrambled eggs, honey. Just help yourself."
I filled myself a few spoons of it onto a plate and added a couple of blackberries from the fridge. I sat next to my parents at the table, and we chatted about various things that I had missed out since I had left in September. There wasn't really much news though. We were a rather quiet family. My parents also asked me about my past few months, but if you are forced to cut out all the interesting parts like losing your virginity to a professor, spending nights and days with said professor, having access to a private brewing room that is packed with dark and illegal ingredients and having found out that one of your teachers is a werewolf, then there's not much left to tell.
As silence had fallen upon us and my parents refocused on their newspapers again, I figured, I could still squeeze in a few hours of learning in my room before I would start getting ready for the evening. I stood up and went to the trash can to empty my plate from the remaining scrambled eggs.
"Do you still need anything before this evening, honey? Do you want to join me as I go to the hairdresser?", my mum asked – she liked getting pampered by professionals.
"Nah, I am fine, thanks. I'll do my hair and makeup myself. I will be in my room, studying."