CH.4 A DINNER, A DRESS, AND YOU

Kang Haerin and Pham Hanni
Narrator's Point Of View

In a world filled with dread, despair, and pain, we have that one aspect in our lives that keeps us afloat. Haerin was drowning in pain, pressure, at some point it was all too much for her. In a world, her world, filled with pain and chaos, Hanni existed, which made it more bearable, it made Haerin hope for the better.

It was a thursday afternoon when Hanni barged into Haerin's apartment, for a few weeks they've been meeting each other at midnight, catching up with lost time, and maybe eating a few take outs here and there.

"Kang Haerin, you've been in this study hellhole for 2 whole days, it's time to reintroduce you to sunlight and other living beings!" Hanni throws Haerin's spare keys on the couch. She sets down the burgers and fries she bought earlier. Hanni enters the girl's bedroom and saw the latter asleep on her desk, with medical books scattered, index cards, and crumpled papers.
"She's either asleep or dead." Hanni grabs the blanket on Haerin's bed and drapes in on the sleeping girl.

Haerin stirs awake, hearing the faint sound of her newly acquired bluetooth speaker, and Hanni singing along to the music. Haerin exits her bedroom to see Hanni singing and dancing like she's on a concert, she chuckles quietly looking at her friend having fun.

"Having fun, are we? I didn't hear you knock nor come in." Haerin said.
"If the building was burning and people shouted outside, you wouldn't hear it. You were practically dead." Hanni turns down the music and grabs her drink on the coffee table.
"Funny, why are you even here? It's 3 in the afternoon." Haerin walks at the kitchen, feeling parched, she grabs a water bottle in the fridge.
"Eunchae called, asked me to check up on you, and I'm glad I did." Hanni follows her suit and takes a seat on the stool. Haerin sighs and starts looking for food.
"I got take out, it's on the coffee table. Figured you haven't eaten."
"Thanks, I'm sorry for the attitude. You know how it goes." Haerin plops down on the couch and starts unpacking the lunch Hanni had bought her.
"I'll forgive you if you make it up to me." Hanni took the fry on Haerin's hand and ate it.
"I'm probably gonna hate this, what is it?" Haerin sighs.
"Let's go out! Have fun, let's bring eunchae and all your other friends. God Rin, you've been in this rut for days, a fresh scenery would do you some good." Hanni turns to the girl.
"As much as I would love to, I can't. Father has this big banquet for his associates and her soon the be doctor daughter needs to make an appearance." Haerin munches down on her food.
"Then after the banquet! We'll have a weekend getaway, us friends." Just then they heard a knock on the door. Hanni went and opened it, greeted by her friend's parents and brother.
"Mom, dad, Bin? What are you guys doing here." Haerin was the first to ask, Hanni was unmoving and didn't dare to utter a word, the presence Haerin's family omits was incomparable.
"Oh honey, we're just here to drop your suit for the banquet and see how you were doing." Haerin's mom hugged her, her brother following suit. Haerin motioned for them to come in, forgetting Hanni for a moment.
"Hi, I'm Kang Soobin, Haerin's cooler older brother" Soobin shakes Hanni's hand with a charming eye smile, similar to Haerin.
"Mom, Dad, Pham Hanni she's a friend of mine" Hanni bows and smiles.
"Just a friend? You look bright as day darling, I'm Eleanor Kang, you can call me Ele" Mother hugs Hanni and takes a better look on Hanni's face.
"Hi Mrs. Kang, it's a such a pleasure to meet you."
"Are you accompanying my daughter to the banquet?" This time it was Haerin's father who spoke.
"Yes! You should come Hanni" Soobin said with a smile.
"If that's okay with you darling" Eleanor said, hugging Haerin's side.
"Of course Dr. and Mrs. Kang, I'd love to but only if Haerin is okay with it. I don't want to impose." Hanni said politely, she was looking at Haerin looking for answers in the girl's eyes.
"Well then, I think we have to go, I have a surgery  and your mother has business meeting along with Soobin. It's good to see you Hanni."