CH.14 MAKE AMENDS

ADOR City, Marsh Hotel And Lodge Co.
Narrator's Point Of View

Danielle was in her office, thoroughly reading papers that she needs to sign, whilst preparing for an online private discussion with her professor. An unexpected guest then arrives at her company doors, Haerin had visited Marsh Hotel and Lodge Co. when she was still dating the younger Marsh, although it was only when they had nothing else to do and would annoy Samantha.

"Oh my! Haerin Unnie!" Lee Hyein spots her favorite Unnie, engulfing her in a tight hug.
"I'm losing circulation here!" Hyein was beyond ecstatic when she received a text from the girl earlier this morning, to which she forgot to tell her boss, who was busy, that her business partner wanted to talk to her.
"Crap! I forgot to inform Ms. Marsh that you were dropping by!" In state of panic, Hyein hurriedly sends her boss a text message informing her that Haerin supposedly dropped by for a unexpected meeting.
"I'll show you to her office, but after this we totally need to hang out. I'm sure Eunchae, Hanni, and Yunjin Unnie would be thrilled to see you!" At the mention of Hanni's name, Haerin's breath hitched, it was as if a knife was stabbed into her. Although Eugene had already explained to her what she missed during the night they saw the two girls, she couldn't help but feel the pain.

Marsh Hotel and Lodge Co. CEO's penthouse office.
Narrator's Point Of View

The young secretary slightly knocks and peeps her head to check if her boss was busy, and she was. Danielle motioned for her to keep quiet as she was currently in a Zoom Meeting with her professor. It took almost an hour, Haerin and Hyein was just sitting quietly together as they waited for the girl to finish her meeting.

"Haerin! It's good to finally see you in person, how have you been!" Danielle's enthusiasm was still unparalleled, she immediately leaves her office chair to greet Haerin with a hug, that caused Haerin to freeze.
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-" Danielle distances herself to the young doctor, who was looking at her with her cat-eyes.
"It's okay, Danielle." They smiled at each other, like old times.

ADOR City, Cafe Heaven
Narrator's Point Of View

The meeting ended briefly, Danielle and Haerin's work chemistry was extraordinary, ideas continued to flow, the neverending conversations, and the light hearted giggles shared between the two. Danielle offered to treat the young doctor out for coffee, not wanting to end their time together, and perhaps to finally properly reconcile.

Haerin was hesitant at first, weary of the young CEO's intentions, even if there wasn't one. Nonetheless she agreed, it's been more than 3 years since their unpleasant breakup, they've grown and are now adults that should see things in a brighter and more mature light.

"I'm so glad you agreed! I wasn't sure whether it was an appropriate gesture considering our....history." After ordering their usual drinks and pastries, they sat on their usual spot before, overlooking the city.
"It's okay Danielle, It's been so long."
"So! How are you? Oh my god! I heard that you graduated from Med school? What was that like." Danielle eagerly waits for her companion to respond. Haerin lightly chuckled at the girl's cute antics, Danielle had always been the chatty cathy.
"Well, Med school was an unexpectedly beautiful experience."
"Never thought that you'd actually go through with it, You've always despised uncle for pushing you to it." Danielle took a sip of her mochaccino.
"I realized that art school wasn't for me anymore, I was lost after our- yeah that. So here we are, Dr. Kang at your service." The young CEO felt as if it was her fault, everything that had happened contributed to Haerin's past struggles. They were things she could've worked out with Haerin but chose not to, she chose to hurt her instead of redeeming herself. A second chance has now been given to her, and she's not gonna lose it.
"Honestly tho, you in a doctor's coat is a sight to see."
"You in Samantha's office is a sight to see, I remember those days where we'd sneak out to her office because we didn't wanna do our homework." They both giggled, reminiscing about the beautiful memories they had made.

ADOR City, New Community Park
Narrator's Point Of View

They were in a bubble they had made, filled with comfort and laughter, Danielle's heart jumped in joy, and Haerin's was finally healing. The night grew colder but that didn't bother them and they kept walking around.

"I remember that time where you fell face first because Soobin was chasing you at the beach!" Danielle laughed, slapping Haerin's arm repeatedly as she found it hilarious.
"There was a crab crawling on my back! I didn't know what to do so I ran around!" Haerin argued and laughed. It was a natural reflex, Danielle hooked her arm on Haerin's as she finally succumbed to the cold night.
"Here" Haerin takes off her coat and scarf. She stops, drapes her coat and scarf on Danielle. A kind familiar gesture that Danielle loved.
"Wasn't this the scarf I bought you?" Danielle asked, Feeling the familiar fabric on her hand.
"I intentionally brought that with me, It was a pathetic ruse for you to notice it."
"It's cute that you've kept this for a long time." Danielle's hand still caresses the scarf, a long lost relic of their love.
"I could never bring myself to throw away the things you gave me." Haerin stuffs her hand on her pockets and continues to walk beside Danielle, ever so often they'd feel their shoulders brush up against each other.
"We've never talked about what happened, not that we have to- but I mean if you want to-" Danielle continues to ramble, while Haerin was thinking. "Am I ready to hear what she has to say?" Scenes from her past kept flashing on her head.
"I loved you, with everything I could possibly give. Truth is I was so angry that I never gave you the chance to tell me what happened. My brain stopped working when I heard what happened with you and Minji, so I decided to leave and vowed to never talk to you and minji ever again. Partly because I was afraid you'd tell me face-to-face that you fell out of love, but also because I somehow understood why you did it. I was never present in anything and I never gave you the physical needs you wanted to receive-" Haerin took this chance to open her heart and let the pain and frustration flow out.
"I loved you, never have I felt you neglected my 'needs' because you were too busy making uncle proud, and it's okay! I totally understood that, I guess apart of me wanted more of you, when I couldn't feel or get it from you, I sought it out on Minji. Which was just...well...-" Danielle couldn't continue her words, she wasn't sure if she was making any more sense.
"You guys are still together, right?" Haerin asked, to which Danielle hummed in confirmation.

It still hurts the latter, Haerin had imagined a life with Danielle, they had plans.

Fatigue had seeped in, Danielle's constant yawning was an indicator that they should turn in, and besides it was a little after midnight. Haerin offered Danielle a ride home, the ride was quiet, The young CEO's eyes were now shut, she couldn't fight her sleepiness anymore. Every so often Haerin would steal glances, she would make sure that her coat would envelope the latter to keep her warm.

"You're still as beautiful as ever, Jihye."

They arrived at Danielle's building, and a slight nudge woke up the sleeping girl in her passenger seat.

"I'll see you around more often, I'm glad we had the time to catch up with lost time. Goodnight, Jihye." She takes her coat, and gives her a sweet smile. Her feline features are more prominent when she smiles. The name had always made Danielle feel somewhat special, it was always Haerin...only Haerin...could call her that.
"I'll keep this, to make sure I'll see you again." She grips Haerin's scarf on her small hands, the doctor smiles and nods at her friend's silliness.
"Goodnight, Haerin-ah" Danielle rests her other hand on Haerin's cheek, and kisses the other cheek.

ADOR City, Danielle's Apartment Building Entrance
Hanni's Point Of View

The night at the park kept bugging me, guilt was eating me alive, and I can't keep this secret anymore. Danielle needs to know what Minji did, though I had a part in it, I knew better than to give into Minji's desires. Danielle deserves better than to be lied to.

"Danielle, something happened with Minji, she didn't mean to- no scratch! That sounds awful. Come on Pham! Get it together." I kept on practicing the words I'd tell Danielle, when I saw someone familiar at her building entrance, The girl's cat-like figure was hard not to recognize.

"Haerin" I mumbled to myself, I suddenly my face heat up. Why was she here, if she came back why didn't she text me or her friends. Why was she with Danielle.

And then one of the most infuriating things happened, when I saw Danielle kiss her cheeks, I start to wonder.if all of the things she said to me were true. My heart broke a little, I stopped from my tracks and turned my heel, walked away.

"You came back home, but I'm starting to think that maybe it's not for me. Did you finally forgive her? Do you still love her? What do I really mean to you, Kang Haerin."