Chapter 47 • The Battle of the Witches pt 1

The darkness felt like years, but it was actually a few hours before I woke to my bitter reality once more. My waking felt more like a heavyweight that lifted off my chest. With a loud intake of breath, I peeled my eyes open and took in my surroundings.

I was in the pack's infirmary.

I had passed out after I saw my old best friend take his own life. Or maybe I was the one who did that... Maybe I was the reason that he killed himself... They say people who kill themselves might have suffered from depression or another mental illness prior. So maybe I was the reason for his illness.

"Don't think like that." A strained voice sounded.

It was Aries.

He took his lower lip in between his teeth nervously before rising from the chair placed in front of the hospital bed.

I watched him silently knowing well that he was in my head. That he could hear everything without having to speak.

The weight of the guilt I had inside towards him, towards Michael, and towards everyone, was too much to bear.

I wish I could be stronger. I wasn't a strong person. Not a strong friend for people to lean on. Nor was I a good Luna/Alpha. Nor was I a good mate.

I felt like I was a burden on everyone's shoulder. Even my best friend couldn't handle me and took his own life.

They say the dead don't feel their own death. But it was rather the living who felt the pain and guilt of losing them.

It was true.

Here I was, turning Michael's death into something about me when it wasn't. I should be thinking about how much I'm going to miss him. How sorry I am for how it ended for him. How horrible I feel for not being able to communicate to him his importance to me regardless of how much I hated who he became.

Sighing, I sat up, feeling the need to silence the storm in my head.

Aries was by my side in a second's flash.

He engulfed me in his arms. Hugging me tightly. His warmth seeping into me like hot sunlight on amber.

Digging my fingers softly into his back I held him back with all I had. Tightening my grip around him, I shook, unraveling.

I sobbed.

Aries hugged me tightly, and he shook.

Startled I pulled myself out of my misery as I cupped his face softly in my hands. "What's the matter?" I croaked.

Aries looked into my eyes, his warm blue ones looking tormented. I took notice of the creases on his forehead, the dark halos around his eyes, and his pale-looking lips. He looked drained.

"The war has started... we're losing.." he whispered his voice sounding gruff.

"What..." I whispered shakily, my tone still carrying shock.

Suddenly the walls around me tumbled down, the sky above rolling harshly into the ground as darkness loomed over us.

I screamed and Aries hugged me tightly, caging me under his body as if trying to protect me from the world outside.

"I'm sorry Ariel, I have failed..." he whispered in my ears.

The sound of more hinges rattling, as doors and walls exploded was all I heard while the whole building began to demolish.

Aries growled and roared as bricks pelted his body.

I wanted to cover and protect him too.